Vinyl Record Mass Production Process. Korea's Only LP Records Manufacturing Factory

One thing that the internet has done is to allow people to easily see processes like this that were rarely ever seen unless there was something like a PBS special on the topic. Instead you read about the process and looked at pictures in Audio or High Fidelity magazine, or HiFi News, etc. You knew the steps but it was hard to appreciate the delicate nature of cutting the lacquer, making masters and stampers, then putting in the vinyl hockey pucks to make the actual record.

I wonder if there is still only one lacquer maker since the Apollo fire. I remember people were talking about moving to direct metal mastering, but I really don't hear a lot about it these days. It takes a special lathe to cut the copper masters so there are probably fewer sites that can actually make them.

Seems like a lot of work for little reward.
Yeah but the 476 people who still have working turntables need new K-pop music to put on them. :LOL:

I know there have been some threads recently where people have asked what was involved in mastering for records. M-Com Musique in France has some excellent information on things to know about mixing and mastering for vinyl records vs digital release. They list a lot of things to avoid (there are many).

Yeah but the 476 people who still have working turntables need new K-pop music to put on them. :LOL:

I know there have been some threads recently where people have asked what was involved in mastering for records. M-Com Musique in France has some excellent information on things to know about mixing and mastering for vinyl records vs digital release. They list a lot of things to avoid (there are many).

Wow I knew Vinyl was difficult - but not that difficult.

i still have a turntable.... A friend of mine asked me if I had a cassette deck as she wanted to digitize a show she did on KUSF back in 80s. I said, "do you really have to ask?" It's not "if" but "how many!" (Actually I only have one, but...)

i still have a turntable.... A friend of mine asked me if I had a cassette deck as she wanted to digitize a show she did on KUSF back in 80s. I said, "do you really have to ask?" It's not "if" but "how many!" (Actually I only have one, but...)

I digitized a cassette recording of a buddy's band that was broadcast over a local FM station in 1981, and have a couple of recordings of our band from 1975, I've digitized some audio tapes that my dad made on a Wilcox Gay Recordio in 1954 and 1955. It looked just like this one. I still have it but have been too scared to try firing it up.Dad's Tape Deck.jpg

Right now I'm listening to an album that was recorded Direct To Disc almost 50 years ago. Randy Sharp's First In Line was the first Nautilus Direct to Disk release from 1976. I dumped the album to digital, then manually cleaned up the worst of the clicks and pops.

Yeah, I like recovering the old stuff too!

Back