Vintech Dual 72

mattkw80

Hey guys -

I can buy a Vintech Dual 72 from a friend - for $750. I currently have no nice preamps, though I have owned a UA 610 in the past.

I record classic rock style music mostly.

Want to have a pair of nice pres for vox, gtr, bass, and drums.

Can anyone tell me if this is good value for the money? I've read alot of negative reviews on this.

Alot of the reviews I've read start out as "I don't own / have never used this pre.... but I don't like it because...", so I'm taking that into consideration.

I'm guessing it's got to be decent if it's a clone of Neve equipment.

Alot of the reviews I've read start out as "I don't own / have never used this pre.... but I don't like it because...", so I'm taking that into consideration.

I'm guessing it's got to be decent if it's a clone of Neve equipment.

My thoughts exactly! There are plenty of other Neve clones out there on the market.

The argument about the 72 is that particular circuit was never used as a preamp by Neve...rather it was used as a line amp, (though adaptable for pre amp use as many have done).

So if you are after a Neve clone *preamp*...it ain't the 72.

My thoughts exactly! There are plenty of other Neve clones out there on the market.

Any good ones ??? I use a Focusrite VoiceMaster pro now. Its not a bad unit for 300 (used)

What is a good channel strip that has the Neve sound. The Vintech X73, gets good reviews, they're 1500.00 and rarely sell used.

Clones are clones. Good, not bad, close enough ..... but in the eyes and ears of pros that have used the originals as a bench mark nothing can compare.

I like the Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 and the Chameleon Labs 7602 MKII both can have modifications but even as stock they are a good clone.

Look HERE ..... there are many others to look at and drool over so take your time. :cool:

Not sure why...but I just can't get excited about anything called "Golden Age _______".

It sounds like it was something meant for senior citizens to use in their retirement...or for some Chinese take-out menu. :D

Not sure why...but I just can't get excited about anything called "Golden Age _______".

It sounds like it was something meant for senior citizens to use in their retirement...or for some Chinese take-out menu. :D

I'll have the Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 and a side of fried wontons plus crab rangoons Does rice come with that? :D

Fortune cookie;

You are what you eat ~ you little crab rangoon you!

Help!! I'm imprisoned in a Chinese fortune cookie making factory.

Last edited:
Neve Tek Raps

A 1272 is a line amp/summing buss amp from the circa 1970-76 era of neve consoles, such as 8048,8014,8016,and bcm10 portable consoles.

A 1272 is not a mic pre, nor was it ever used by neve as such.

However, when asked what he thought about people rewiring the 1272 as a mic pre, Ruperts' answer was" why not? It's all the same stuff in there".

Inside of a 1272, one finds an input transformer, a line amp card, and an output transformer.
Some enterprising techno gentlemen rewire these components and with the addition of appropriate volume and gain switches, build a preamp that emulates that found in a 1073( or other class a) input module.

The only problem occurs when one attempts to get much over 50 db of gain, which is accomplished in a 1073 by the insertion of an additional amp card. When wringing that extra gain out of one amp card, one encounters frequency response and distortion anomalies. However, assuming that the wiring is done properly, a1272 can be made into a mic pre that exactly emulates the classic neve class a preamp 1073/1064/1066/1089/1084 type of circuit and of course , done right, that sounds wonderful....

If you really want a 1073-ish sound go for that. I don't think you'll find a better deal on 2 channels of that particular preamp. You're getting it for $325 per preamp, no tax. That's a great deal!

I have a 1272 that I bought new directly from Vintech about 11 years ago. It does not match the sound of "real" Neve modules I've used in other studios over the years, but, it is an extremely good mic pre and well worth every penny I paid for it. Lately, I've been using a Vintech 573. Honestly, the 573 does sound very close to real Neve consoles that I've recorded on. I only mention it because I had a singer in last week that very much preferred the sound of the 1272 over the sound of the 573. Bottom line, if you buy a Vintech, you're buying a great piece of gear.

Back