Vintage Collectables

rob aylestone

I mentioned the other day I was involved with a big UK exhibition - show - PLASA, and I'd been asked to man the Vintage collection stand that had been really popular when started in a small way last year.

Pink Floyd's PA was pretty impressive, but Led Zepplin's 200W, 4 4 x 12" WEM was great too, plus some old gear from David Bowie's shows. On top of this, EMI Abbey Road Studios Altec monitors were there too - All day, we'd get Pink Floyd interspersed with some 60's Beatles studio tracks. It's these I want to mention. They played Pink Floyd mixes the big PA, and a guy played the bass line from money to show what they sounded like at the bottom - and it was pretty impressive. However - the Beatles stuff brought back some of the conversations we have had recently on monitors here.

The pictures show John Lennon and Paul McCartney in front of these speakers, but they're against the studio wall on these rather spindly stands - in the exhibition, they're free standing. This of course means that you lose some bass, but while I repeatedly heard top end sizzle and clean mids, they just had no real bass. So much so that it was very obvious they were not just a bit bass light, but they were bass missing. This means that when the Beatles heard their mixes and were happy with them, this was NOT remotely how we listen to the Beatles now? If Abbey Road's 60s mixes were listened to like this, our current understanding of what constitutes a good mix may be totally wrong? Now, these tracks all have contemporary amounts of bass, when back then, I really think they probably had very little. This might even explain away why the electrostatic speakers were usable and loved in that era - they simply didn't record the bass to be prominent in a mix like we do now.

I've attached loads of the vintage gear pictures - big desks, very low channel count and very basic facilities, but the stand was often 3 deep in people wanting to touch thing. I've been asked back again next year, and hope to be able to do every day - even though I've got no voice left.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Part 2

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
There you go - some real audio history!!

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
There's a market for this stuff - but it's not me - I get rid of stuff rather than keep it - and apparently the Artist who are cited didn't feel a need to
keep the stuff around either,

The pictures show John Lennon and Paul McCartney in front of these speakers, but they're against the studio wall on these rather spindly stands - in the exhibition, they're free standing. This of course means that you lose some bass, but while I repeatedly heard top end sizzle and clean mids, they just had no real bass. So much so that it was very obvious they were not just a bit bass light, but they were bass missing. This means that when the Beatles heard their mixes and were happy with them, this was NOT remotely how we listen to the Beatles now? If Abbey Road's 60s mixes were listened to like this, our current understanding of what constitutes a good mix may be totally wrong? Now, these tracks all have contemporary amounts of bass, when back then, I really think they probably had very little. This might even explain away why the electrostatic speakers were usable and loved in that era - they simply didn't record the bass to be prominent in a mix like we do now.
Especially interesting. Thanks Rob for once more bringing very interesting stuff to our attention!

There's a market for this stuff - but it's not me - I get rid of stuff rather than keep it - and apparently the Artist who are cited didn't feel a need to
keep the stuff around either,
That about sums up my thinking on the oldest gear -- good for museums. Necessary even to have saved someplace, but really just a snapshot in time like we look at arrow heads from archeological finds.

Nice writeup Rob.

Rob, that's an interesting comment about the sound of the EMI monitors. When it came time to do the actual mixes, apparently those where what was used. This is supposed to be the setup used for mixing Sgt Pepper, although these monitors looks somewhat bigger than the ones in your photos. Maybe it's like BBC's LS3/5a vs BBC's LS5/5 or LS 5/8 monitors

1694374948784.jpeg

I think the amazing thing is that the gear looks so primitive, compared to what you get today. As someone who started out with a 35W Bogen Challenger for a PA with some homemade speaker cabinets, it feels familiar.

For today's use, most of it is the equivalent of a Commodore 64 compared to a present day laptop.

Last edited:
Back