Using mic xlr to interface trs

tynituck

Hello! So I was recently graciously given an E-MU 202 interface and an AT 2035 condenser mic by my friend to record my small drum set up (as well as other orchestral percussion instruments). My question was, that since this interface has a seperate trs input with its own preamp if using another mic thats dynamic with a female xlr to trs cable would be worth it, or would the sound not come out as great as the Condenser. The AT2035 suprisingly sounds really good with where I was able to place it on my set. Just looking to add a little extra nuance to the mix.

If you are going to use a single mic for your kit...use the condenser...probably hanging about 2' feet above your head when seated at the kit, and right over the Snare/Kick zone...adjust to taste.

The dynamic mic is best for spot/close miking...so you could add that to the snare for example for added punch that you then blend in with the OH condenser.

In terms of difference between XLR and 3.5mm TRS, all else being equal, I doubt there's any difference.
They probably go to the same preamp circuitry but with the 3.5mm not being subject to phantom power.

Try each input with the same mic and conditions to see if you hear a difference, but I doubt there'll be one.

For everything else....What Miro said. :)

So as long as I get a decent dynamic mic and female xlr to trs for the interface I should be able to still get a good sound from the 2 mics at the same time? It's more of a question about the interface because I know its old and just don't know a whole lot about E-MU devices.

Yeah...XLR to TSR is fine.
You will notice that the condenser will have more level and maybe sound a bit more articulate than the dynamic...but that's normal. You just adjust the levels as needed to balance them out.

From what I can tell, the 1/4" input on that unit is line level. You'd need an external preamp to get a mic signal up to line level before plugging it into the 1/4" input.

Looks like the same goes for the 1/4" section of the XLR/TRS combo input as well. The XLR input section is mic level, and the 1/4" TRS section is line level.

From what I can tell, the 1/4" input on that unit is line level. You'd need an external preamp to get a mic signal up to line level before plugging it into the 1/4" input.

Looks like the same goes for the 1/4" section of the XLR/TRS combo input as well. The XLR input section is mic level, and the 1/4" TRS section is line level.

That's right, but this unit has 3.5mm into mic preamp.
Uncommon, but it's there.

That's right, but this unit has 3.5mm into mic preamp.
Uncommon, but it's there.
It's usually a non-issue anyway at 24 bits. I literally record all of my mics at unity all the time and never worry about noise floor. You've got all the clean, quiet gain you need inside the machine.

It's not a non issue. The OP specifically asked about it.

The OP got the right answer early. "With a dynamic mic it'll probably work fine." The fact that this particular box runs the TRS to the same pre is good information to have, but it doesn't change the fact that it should be fine anyway. Most dynamic mics into most decent line inputs work just fine without a real need for gain from a preamp. It might make the squiggles on the screen look really small, but we have ways of making them bigger. If you're trying to use a 57 to capture an acoustic guitar from across the room, you've got a lot of other issues that even a good preamp ain't gonna fix.

The 3.5mm input has 5V power for the usual lav type mics that need a polarising voltage - no use for balanced phantom powered mic. So pretty much it's a lopsided device, one condenser, one line/guitar and a lav option - not really that useful - as a stereo recording with two identical mics isn't possible.

Back