USed Fostex R8 problems

DukeDauphin

Hi all,

I purchased a used R8 from ebay (machine 1) recently that i thought i would be able to fix up, the problem sounded like one ive had with R8s in the past, the bushes on the drive motors wearing out. So i purchased some new ones of those, and replaced them on the old machine. This sadly didnt fix it.

The machine plays, ffs and rwnds fine with the machine in ready mode (arms up) without tape on it, but as soon as tape is on it, it refuses to move the tape. The pinch roller moves up but doesnt seem to actually click into place. I have a fully working R8 (machine 2) that has some issues with the play and record heads, so this project was going to be a replacement for that machine, so i took the pinch roller from the original machine, and put it on the newer machine 1. This didnt solve the problem and am still left with an R8 that doesnt play the tape as normal. Is there a remedy for this? Could it be a simple fix? As i have two machines, this could be a good thing as i can use the other one for spare parts etc....

Finally is replacing the play and record heads an easy task? Is any soldering involved?

Many thanks all......

so even after replacing the bushes, they are wearing out again?

I think the problem on mine is now something other than the plastic bushes. This problem happened on my old machine and i fixed it with new ones, thought this new one would be the same problem but seems not, bit stuck as to what to try next.....

Sounds like the cam that moves the pinch roller into position is either worn / broken or something related is out of adjustment - or something's fallen inside the machine and is jamming the mechanism.

Bryan

Back