Use mixer with my MR8 MK11?

Nazareth94

I've been playing around with various Zoom recorders, so I didn't even take my Fostex MR8 out of the box until I dropped my Zoom H2 a (if you've held one of these, you know how flimsy it really is) and it's now one the way to the manufacturer for repair—so now I'm starting fresh with the Fostex. Well, I recently picked a little Behringer mixer to go with mics that require phantom power—my stuff is spoken word with all kinds of psychedelic twisted weirdness—I use absolutely use lot's of tracks. My question: The Fostex has inputs that supply phantom power and effects and the Behringer mixer has worked really well for me in the past—would it make sense to use the mixer with the Fostex? I'd actually like to do this, but I'm not sure how to set it up—or even if I should use ir or if it would work? I should be able to take advantage of the Fostex's effects (which are absent in the Behringer xenyx 802 mixer, but can be sent back) Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Naz

I think you need to use the line out from the mixer and set the Fostex to line in levels on trim control of inputs A & B. Just treat the Behringer as another line input.

You might try a recording on the Fostex (say on tracks 3 & 4) and then connecting the ST OUT to the Beringer. You can then mix the tracks 3 & 4 with new input through the Behringer and record the result on tracks 1 & 2.

I have the MR16 and I patch the AUX OUT to the inputs A & B so I can re-record a "raw" recording but use the internal "effects" to modify it. This gives total control over the added effects and allows for as many re-records as needed to test the effect and get the best result. Having a mixer lets you work on the original "raw" recording to get the effect you want.

Advice:- If in doubt, try it out!!! (but keep your volume controls to safe levels to start with!)

Thanks

I'll give it a try. I appreciate your input.
I think you need to use the line out from the mixer and set the Fostex to line in levels on trim control of inputs A & B. Just treat the Behringer as another line input.

You might try a recording on the Fostex (say on tracks 3 & 4) and then connecting the ST OUT to the Beringer. You can then mix the tracks 3 & 4 with new input through the Behringer and record the result on tracks 1 & 2.

I have the MR16 and I patch the AUX OUT to the inputs A & B so I can re-record a "raw" recording but use the internal "effects" to modify it. This gives total control over the added effects and allows for as many re-records as needed to test the effect and get the best result. Having a mixer lets you work on the original "raw" recording to get the effect you want.

Advice:- If in doubt, try it out!!! (but keep your volume controls to safe levels to start with!)

Back