Upgrading Sonar X1 and Window 7 to 64 Bit

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I am currently running the following...

-Sonar X1 Producer 32-bit
-Windows Vista 32-bit
-16-bit audio interface

I am in the process of upgrading my computer and in doing so will be upgrading to the following...

-Sonar X1 Producer 64-bit
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
-24-bit audio interface

My main question is this...I have a couple half finished projects. Will I have any issues opening these tracks and recording with the new items? All instruments are done but
the vocals still have to go in but I would like to complete the upgrade first especially the 24-bit audio interface to get better quality.

My second question is this...my tracks are currently 16/44100, can I switch mid project to 24/48000?

Finally, are there any other issues with this upgrade that you know about?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

ROK

Anything recorded at 16 bit will be in your Audio folder. Sonar can open a 16 bit file no problem. You can work with those 16 bit files and add any new 24 bit files you record. The 48000 playback will not work with mxed files. You will transpose the old wav file - remember Van Halen's goof up when they changed Hz?. Why not go 44100 ? I do 24/44100 all the time.

Thanks for the response. I don't really know what it does for me, just that I've seen it recommended for better quality. I appreciate your answer on the bit question, I will do that.

Do you know of any issues I should be aware of with the 64 bit upgrade? Will going from 32 bit to 64 bit DAW and OS cause me any issues?

I recently updated my PC to a Win7 64 bit machine. I'm running Sonar 6 currently, but on the Sonar 6 install disc is a 64-bit version. It ran fine but none of my VST plugins would run nor would EZ-drummer. From a quick scan of some internet info, it looks like those tools are 32-bit and I needed some sort of "bridge" program to run them in Sonar 6 64-bit. I have Producer X1 on order but may end up running it at 32-bit just because I have loads of plugins that I don't think I can live without. We'll see if the new session drummer can take the place of EZDrummer...

I know that Windows 7 64bit usb midi driver is a sigle-client operation, you can only use one midi device at a time unless your going thru an interface with midi in/outs.

Back