uhhhh I don't know what i'm doing

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
started working on this song and got halfway through tracking when i realized i probably don't know how to mix it so whats the point of continuing tracking...
It's been a long time since i've mixed a song so here I am asking for more gooder ears than my own.
I have crappy headphones and presonus eris 3.5 monitors (gotta start somewhere right?) so i'm sure the entire low end is just garbage and i'm pretty sure the guitars are way to thin and trebly but i may be mistaken.
anyways, if you would be so kind as to give this a listen and tell me everything wrong with it
Corona Canon Rock mix check by nmans1026 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The best mix is the one that’s best tracked. Get the sound right going in, and mixing will be much easier. Play around with how you’re getting your sounds.

The best mix is the one that’s best tracked. Get the sound right going in, and mixing will be much easier. Play around with how you’re getting your sounds.

well i mean everything is DI, and the drums are samples so i have pretty much unlimited access to play with how im getting my sounds, what i'm asking is, how are these sounds that i've gotten?

well i mean everything is DI, and the drums are samples so i have pretty much unlimited access to play with how im getting my sounds, what i'm asking is, how are these sounds that i've gotten?

It’s not as bad as you may think it is. The guitar can be a bit fuller, but it’s not bad.

It’s not as bad as you may think it is. The guitar can be a bit fuller, but it’s not bad.

WELL my happiness and ego just got a little bit of an upgrade! I'm quite paranoid about all the lows and sub frequencies because i can't hear a damn thing down there. if it's at least on the right track i'll work on getting the guitars a little fuller (is fuller even a word?) and keep on truckin'
Thanks for taking the time to give it a listen :D:drunk:

+ 1 ^ .... What [MENTION=122187]CrowsofFritz[/MENTION] said. Sounds pretty good to me. Nothing awful there.

+ 1 ^ .... What [MENTION=122187]CrowsofFritz[/MENTION] said. Sounds pretty good to me. Nothing awful there.

Well I trust your judgement, my biggest downfall is being way to hard on myself in everything that I do. I'm beginning to learn to accept the viewpoints of others. Thank you for taking the time to listen :listeningmusic::cool:

It's been a long time since i've mixed a song so here I am asking for more gooder ears than my own.
I have crappy headphones and presonus eris 3.5 monitors (gotta start somewhere right?) so i'm sure the entire low end is just garbage and i'm pretty sure the guitars are way to thin and trebly but i may be mistaken.
anyways, if you would be so kind as to give this a listen and tell me everything wrong with it

I think you're right. The guitars are overpowering and probably a bit harsh overall.
I usually find I think I want more gain but, really, less gain sounds better. Maybe you're pushing it a bit too hard?

started working on this song and got halfway through tracking when i realized i probably don't know how to mix it so whats the point of continuing tracking...

Finish it. Always finish it.
Two main reasons -
One, when things aren't going great I push through and usually find the end result is usually better I expected.
Two, if it's not, at least you finished it so you can assess the result properly and learn something from it.
Trying to learn from half finished projects always has a huge amount of guessing involved because you never really know how it would have ended.

I think you're right. The guitars are overpowering and probably a bit harsh overall.
I usually find I think I want more gain but, really, less gain sounds better. Maybe you're pushing it a bit too hard?

Finish it. Always finish it.

I dialed the gain back a bit and mixed in a darker sounding mic for each guitar.
In my mind getting headed in the right direction as far as mixing is concerned was going to be next to impossible given that I couldn't even remember the basics so i wanted to take a step back from the actual song and see what I would be able to accomplish, i'll do a little more tweaking and try to refrain from leaving songs half finished :o
Thanks steenamaroo, glad you're still around here :drunk:

well my ears are so so good.
at the onset i though ok this is that song about the girl who mmm
but glad it changed
the guitar lead sounds amazing and the stuff below is supportive.

First, I'd imagine the "surprise" would give old Pachelbel a laugh, and he'd say "well done."
Second, it's just fun to hear. I'd say "I don't know what I'm doing" is maybe sandbagging a bit.
Third, the sound for the lead in the 3rd and 4th round could sound even more like bagpipes than it does.
The drum breaks are ok, but better ask a drummer.
Keep going. As my wife says while quilting, "Finished is better than perfect."

First, I'd imagine the "surprise" would give old Pachelbel a laugh, and he'd say "well done."
Second, it's just fun to hear. I'd say "I don't know what I'm doing" is maybe sandbagging a bit.
Third, the sound for the lead in the 3rd and 4th round could sound even more like bagpipes than it does.
The drum breaks are ok, but better ask a drummer.
Keep going. As my wife says while quilting, "Finished is better than perfect."

well thank you :)
i'm actually going to change the 3rd and 4th round leads that you're talking about, at least the 4th for sure. as far as drums go, im not a drummer and i probably never will be. it's something i'm most likely always going to struggle with so i guess i should probably find a drummer on here and get their input cause i'm flying blind here.
i'll get some changes made and repost here later on when its done :o
thank you for taking the time to listen :)

Back