Twist and Shout targeting -18db mix at -6

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
A warm up excercise , I tried recording a number of instruments much softer. I left the tracks raw. Breaths and mistakes in time. Targeting -18 db. Peaks might go +2 or 3. The bass sounds better. I had a problem with boominess.

Its not my usual brand of shitty. Crap none the less. Let me know if it sounds like anything..

A quick verse.

The vocals are great. You could compress them quite hard and emphasise the raw quality. It all hangs together real well, you've got nice performances

In some tip videos, I see people are using a bunch of VSTs per track. It seems the tips are to suggest the tracks be Lo Fi'd in the DAW to more resemble a tape recording experience. So I think that is going to be my next experiment. To color or LoFi each track so it sound more like 'something'.

Reaper Mania(I use Reaper) has a lofi tip video with list of VST to put in order for each track. In the past I kept them pretty raw. Compression or an HPF LPF set..This tip could be something. This isnt preserving the initial recording, but ruining it a little to sound good...

Screenshot 2022-03-07 143159.jpg

I can try a auto tuner VST too ...next time..for the voice..

Targeting -18 db looks to be a win. Floating point recording allows you to turn it up post in FX with a JS Volume VST. Analog input seems to be best at -18. Digital stuff I cannot tell any difference, so samplers and stuff is ...just don't clip.

Last edited:
Recording in general sounds pretty good. Everything is clean and distinct. Puzzled by the vocals though. They're double tracked, but then occasionally out of nowhere there's a harmony part. Needs more harmony and less unison, imo. Particularly in the aahs. Each of the aah parts need to be held while the harmony parts build on top of them - if the makes sense. Also, the aahs seem to have been cut and pasted, as I notice the same vocal glitches in them each time.

Good work though. :thumbs up:

The vocals are great.
Thanks, there is nothing done to them. Thats ok. They are ok I guess.
Puzzled by the vocals though. They're double tracked, but then occasionally out of nowhere there's a harmony part. Needs more harmony and less unison, imo. Particularly in the aahs. Each of the aah parts need to be held while the harmony parts build on top of them - if the makes sense.
I did two tracks of vocals. Targeting a recording input of -18 db or a lil under. Slightly panned. I think the timing of the sung words is a little different, so it has an effect like that. Yelling it out, like a 5 year old..

The 'Ahhhs' ? I'll work on it. I think a vocal auto tuner might be able to make it so I don't need to sing the high notes. Perhaps it can harmonize it for me.

I recorded it soft and turned it up with a volume VST.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 044725.jpg

Also, the aahs seem to have been cut and pasted,
It is one verse repeated. Perfect length to do exercises with huh?

Last edited:
This is that youtube video I was talking about..

It looks like people are using many Vsts at once...That is just not how I pictured it..

So now I am trying many VSTs in my tracks ..Seems excessive. Saturation seems to be a huge deal. I will know more as my experiments continue.

Also , the one thing yall said was ok, I had done nothing to. Hmmm. That means something to me. Natural is better.

Last edited:
RE: the video

The saturation and distortion really punch it up, also adding lots of noise. One of the last things I expected to hear when I came to digital recording is people saying "I want more noise" :laughings:

What do engineers say when they are given tracks like this? Do they point out how much noise is there and try to clean it up, or do they - in keeping with the times - take notice of it and ask it it was intentional and should be left in?

Last edited:
Sounds nice and tight to me.
I like how the snare gets better the louder I play it.
Good stereo spread to the instruments.
And I like the tortured vocals. They sound very organic.

Back