Trying to match up Marshall JCM200 DSL 50 Watt w/ 1x12 Cab

fris9

I'm trying to downsize my live rig without breaking the bank. Don't really want to haul around my 4x12 Cab, but don't really want to buy a combo or an expensive 2x12 cab, would like to stay playing through the JCM2000. I was thinking of the Egnator 1x12, it says it's rated for 30 Watts. Is this a problem? Any suggestions?

Not if you don't crank it. You could get it and replace the speaker with something with a higher wattage rating. WGS Speakers makes very affordable high-quality "knock-offs". Keep in mind that a 1x12 will never sound as bad ass as a 4x12.

Yeah, I know it won't, but I'm a singer in a band only playing rhythm gtr on a few songs live. Doesn't make a lot of sense to lug around a 4x12 to play a few tunes. Not that lugging around a 4x12 to club gigs makes a lot of sense anyway, but that's another topic. :)

Not that lugging around a 4x12 to club gigs makes a lot of sense anyway, but that's another topic. :)

I do it with my Marshalls, and I'm about to add a bottom cab for the full stack. Necessary? No way. Awesome? Fuck yes. :D

I dunno, guess it depends what you're going for. When FOH guys want your stage volume around 2-3 and typically only mic 1 or 2 speakers, I'm more for efficiency. My lead guy runs his combo 1x12 into a 2x12 cab, with the FOH micing both, sometimes only the cab, and his tone is monster. Of course it doesn't look as cool as a stack....

Like David Lee Roth said,"It's not whether you win or lose the game, it's whether you look cool while playing!" LOL! I used to haul around a double stack of Marshall's back during my punk/rock days. My advice to you is man the hell up! Get your self another 4/!2 cabinet! I'm kidding you. There are several cabs like you describe on the market. I imagine you could build a nice one for a modest sum if you choose to. You'll never get the sound that you'd get from a 4/12 though.

Not sure if you can still find a retailer with one of these but for what it is the sound is pretty good. Sorry if the photo is a bit naff, I literally turned round while looking at this thread and snapped it without the flash. I got this cab a few months ago and would dearly like to get the bottom cab as well if I can track one down as it's been discontinued. The two cabs stacked would make a great compact set up with an amp, plus the option of using the single 16 ohm cab, the impedance makes it suitable for most small valve amps. It's a 1X12 I got mine from a retailer so maybe some sellers still have limited stock.

Tim

1X!2.jpg

I agree with Greg L. make the sound guy suffer. (retired sound guy here). Look for a Mesa 1x12 EV cab. I have one and use it with a DSL 100 (old version) not the same as a 4x12 by any means but that speaker is a monster and rated well over the 100+ watts the DSL throws out. I used EV 12ls for many years and they are tough, tough, tough and sound pretty good too. Beamy as hell in the Mesa extension closed back cab format. I aim mine at the ceiling or backwards at times! You may want to try the ported 1x12 loaded with said speaker. You can create minor earthquakes with a 100 watt Marshal and a 1x12 extension cab loaded with an ev 12.

haha, you guys crack me up! Thanks for all of the input. I'd love to have that Marshall or try the Mesa cab, just wasn't really looking to spend much more than say $250 or so. The Egnator seemed to be about the best for the price in that range, but I'll check out some used stuff today. I'll let you know what I find, thanks again!

The 1x12 is gonna be very "directional" and small sounding. If you can find an open back or convertible model, that might be the way to go.

Back