Trouble With Live Vocal Input to Headphones

volumeup

I have 2 headsets going into a dual aux adaptor, connected to my laptop. On my laptop I am using logic capital X pro, and I have a microphone connected to my laptop too. I am having trouble with getting the input from the microphone going out to the headphones. Does anyone have a solution?

It might be possible to enable listening to an input just using the built-in audio of the laptop, but it likely won't be near zero latency (delay). A proper audio interface will have low latency input monitoring plus a bunch of other features designed to facilitate recording.

To do it the cheap and questionable way with your built-in audio, right click the speaker icon in the task bar, click Open Sound settings, click Sound Control Panel from the list on the right, click the Recording tab, click the built-in device (mine says High Definition Audio Device), click the Properties button, select the Listen tab, check the Listen to this device box, make sure the correct output device is selected from the drop down menu. I can't guarantee that your audio device will allow this or that it will work well enough.

A proper audio interface is by far the better solution. There's usually a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that bad and the benefits are generally worth it.

I really appreciate your advice! I will try the "cheap method" first and look into an audio interface if necessary.

Yeah, you can pretty much ignore my whole set of instructions. They're for Windows and Logic is Apple software (though I did have Logic Silver on a Windows 98 machine back in ancient times).

I may be a bit thick, but what is logic capital x? Google has failed me. If it’s on a Mac, without an interface, how do you plug in headphones and a mic? I don’t have two sockets?

LOL. I wondered the same. Then, while searching, I saw there was a Logic Pro 9, so I made the assumption the "capital x" was a descriptive and found Logic Pro X. I didn't find any answers, but I did find an X.

Back