Triplets in Reaper

BriamJH

How do you construct triplets in the pianoroll/grid in Reaper. The note options are basic divisions of a whole note. I am trying to construct a triplet in a drum groove. Any help is very welcome. Many thanks, Brian

There are 2 places you can change that, depending on which one applies to you.

In the "OPTIONS" menu, you can scroll down to "SNAP/GRID Settings". From there, you can can change the grid to anything that has a "T" (Triplets) after it. 1/8T, 1/16T, etc....

In the MIDI editor, at the bottom, you can also change the grid to whatever you want to quantize to, like 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...and then beside that, you can change the setting from "Straight" to "Triplets", or "Dotted" or "Swing", etc...

How close do you want the notes? When I do triplets, I've got them overlapped so they appear as a single note and play on a single beat.

That's in 4/4 time. Looks like __ as opposed to _ _ _ .

There are 2 places you can change that, depending on which one applies to you.

In the "OPTIONS" menu, you can scroll down to "SNAP/GRID Settings". From there, you can can change the grid to anything that has a "T" (Triplets) after it. 1/8T, 1/16T, etc....

In the MIDI editor, at the bottom, you can also change the grid to whatever you want to quantize to, like 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...and then beside that, you can change the setting from "Straight" to "Triplets", or "Dotted" or "Swing", etc...
Very many thanks, Brian

I like my triplets to be tighter together, almost like a snare roll - not snapping to a grid. Here's how I do that :

Open Piano Roll Editor. Turn off Snap To Grid in the Piano Roll Editor. At the bottom menu, select a Note size (ignore Grid and Straight settings).

In Reaper's main top header menu, select Options/Preferences/Mouse Modifiers

Under Context select MIDI Piano Roll - next to that, Left Drag

Double click Shift+Alt/select Paint Notes/Horizontally/click OK

This should allow you to paint triplets (or any number) of whatever note size you have selected anywhere in the roll by holding the Left Mouse Button down and dragging.

This setting paints notes horizontally only on a single piano note, but you can select other settings to allow more freedom and flexibility.

I like my triplets to be tighter together, almost like a snare roll - not snapping to a grid.

Then it's not a triplet.

Man, why complicate things for nothing? Especially for a newbie asking a simple question about triplets.

Are you sure you know what a triplet is? A triplet is a triplet. You can't change what it is. If you're making them "tighter together", then it's not a triplet. A triplet is literally dividing a bar, beat, or whatever in 3. It's not arbitrary. I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong. But as soon as you change a triplet from being 3 equally spaced notes that take up the length of a 1/4 note or 1/8 note, etc...it's not a triplet any more.

Last edited:
Undertood. I guess my definition is broader than a textbook.
Well, there really is only one definition. It's either a triplet or it isn't.

But, don't worry, I'm just as bad at times. I was thinking that it might just be a matter of terminology. Lord knows I get terms mixed up a lot too. Just the other day, I answered a question about "Busses", but I thought I was talking about "Folders" and I ended up confusing the hell out of everyone, myself included. :)

Back