Triad (acoustic instrumental)

mark skinner

I haven't played mandolin or cello for a while. I thought I'd do an instrumentle while in between vocal songs. All crits , suggestions for improvement are welcomed. -mild remix-
Thank You .. mark

Last edited:
MASTERFUL! :)
Love how things get a little funky @1:48 (y)

You should start an acoustic recording clinic... I would certainly follow

Oooh yeah, I like this one. Reminded me to listen again to "Resurrection of the Old Barn Band", which has been downloaded & played quite often -- I think this vibe is your greatest strength! The 'cello is especially successful.

Thanks guys !
@JAPOV , Funk is probably my favourite genre to actually play. I don't listen to a lot of it , but seem to throw some in even when I'm not intending to.
@packrobottom , I appreacite that 3d comment. I used to get wide mixes but they weren't immersive at all. The little breakdowns pulling tracks Out of the mix has helped.
@Serendipity Records , Thanks for the comments. I made some minor adjustments to the cello EQ as well as taming a couple of spots. They're included now in the link. It's Nice to know someone actually downloaded and listens to something I've done. Appreciate it .. mark

You threw me with this one. I used to play Triad by David Crosby, and I pulled it up and this wasn't that one. :-)

Its a good sounding recording. I like the addition of the cello. Good job, Mark.

@TalismanRich , sorry about that.. I used to do Triad as well doing solo gigs. Great song ! I just named this one "triad" because of using guitar mandolin and cello as the 3 main instruments. I rember once starting to post a CSN song , but you posted the same song on the same day. I don't really remember which song it was , but I didn't think it would be very cool to do it. I've had a few of their songs on the back burner to try and cover for a while. Maybe later ..
Appreciate the comment .. mark

It's nice.

I like it but I'm not sure it's destiny should be as an instrumental, it points to a vocal I started expecting but knew wasn't coming.

Great potential though.

Incidentally, that mark tree is getting a lot of use across your songs!

@rob aylestone ,Thanks Rob I appreciate you weighing in.
@TalismanRich , Yes that was the song. I didn't put it on Soundclick and removed it from Soundcloud. (running out of room on my free accounts) It's probably stored away somewhere on a flash drive. I may just redo it at some point , I wasn't all that happy with it..
@HumanPlanet , I actually started this as a vocal project , with no idea about a melody or lyrics. I normally start recording one before it's written. I'll probably revisit it soon. Just started an online collab with a friend in Canada and I'll be tied up for a while. As far as the mark/chime bar , you're probably the only person who would pick up on that ! It has probably served it's purpose and now getting overused. I'll find something else to become addicted to. Thanks ..
mark

As far as the mark/chime bar , you're probably the only person who would pick up on that ! It has probably served it's purpose and now getting overused. I'll find something else to become addicted to.
I like it! Used sparingly. It could become a trademark* of your sound!

*edit: Mark my words, that was 100% unintentional! :unsure::facepalm::drunk:8-)

Really excellent playing. Well put together song.

There really isn't much to pick on in the mix. Well balanced tonally.

My only thing is this... There is a bit of a glassy sound to everything. Like everything in the 4k-5k range is boosted. It gives the mix a little cool/glassy sound. I wonder if you pulled back that range on things if it might warm up the mix.

But that's it. And it's a minor thing. Nice job.

Back