Transpose vocal by 1 octave in Reaper

BriamJH

I wish to sing a harmony part to a song and I want to transpose it by 1 octave (up or down). Can this be done and, if so, how. (All the youtube videos deal only with MIDI or simple vocal pitch correction). I am hoping to transpose a track. Many thanks, Brian

Very easily, my friend.

Simply double click on the item. In the "Pitch" section of the "Properties" window, change the "0" to a +12 or a -12.

Hope that helps, Brian.

Just to add to my post....

Simply raising or lowering the pitch will probably not sound natural, especially if you're changing it by that much (an octave).

So, while the method I mentioned above will work, it won't sound good.

What I would recommend would be to use ReaPitch. Find the Algorithm that sounds best (Elastique Pro, Soloist, etc...). Also, one thing that helps is to use the "Formants" by setting them to the exact opposite amount of the pitch shift.

What I mean is, if you're raising the pitch by 12 semi-tones, then lower the Formant by 12 semi-tones. Vice versa if you're lowering the pitch by 12 semi-tones, raise the Formant by 12 semi-tones. This might not apply to all the algorithms, but when it works, you'll hear how natural it sounds.

It's not as complicated as I just made it sound. You'll see what I mean once you open ReaPitch.

There are a number of solutions.

The simplest is to open the FX panel, type in "pitch", and pick the pitch-shifting fx that gives you the best results. As Random dude said, moving a whole octave will get you bad results no matter which option you choose.

A slightly more-natural sounding option would be to adjust the speed of the recording. To pitch up by an octave, set the whole project rate to 0.5 and sing along at your normal pitch (but half speed). Then when you set the rate back to 1.0, your new vocal take will be an octave higher. It will sound a little bit like a chipmunk, but it will still be fairly natural. For pitching down, set the rate to 2.0.

You can also use smaller increments to get a less-affected result by singing closer to the part. e.g. if you can't quite sing the part a full octave higher, you might be able slow the rate down to 0.9 or so. Then you sing only slightly slower and almost a full octave up, and the speed shifting will be less obvious.

The nice thing about using the project rate is that you don't need to do a full octave. Moving it down 2 or 3 steps might get you into your vocal range, and you aren't moving it so far that you get into chipmunk territory. If you can't hit it in A, try moving it down to F or E and see if you can reach it.

I have used different methods for changing pitch but once I go beyond a whole step it gets hard to make a vocal track sound good and that's with using a dedicated formant plugin after the pitch change. Musical instruments are much easier but vocals, at least for me, have been difficult.

Thanks again. Looks like I may have to stick with now limited vocal range (due to age !!). Really appreciate all the input - I still have a lot to learn ! Brian

Back