too many choices = confusion!

bm70

Hi, my first post here.

I'm the dad in my boy's band. We are looking to upgrade our gear for both live mixing and recording.

For live we currently have:
Peavey PVi8500 powered 400W (8 channel - non stereo)
x2 15" speakers
various guitar amps, mics, etc

For recording we currently have:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface (2 channel)
Ableton Live Standard
MacBook Pro

In the future we would like to:
record live performances (with a desk or with a computer DAW)
record at home using either simultaneous tracks or overdubbing
mix with at least 8 mic inputs with built in effects (reverb, compressor, gate etc)

Here's what I'm thinking....
Trade in the small focusrite 2 channel for a claret 8 channel.
Trade in the powered PA for a passive mixer and powered speakers. The speakers I think I'm keen to get Yamaha DBR15

So that's the rough outline.

I have some general questions.....
Is it better to go with a say a Mackie profx16v2 mixer for live and the focusrite claret for home recording as a nice live / home recording option?
Or is it better to get something that may do both like a digital combo mixer such as Presonus studio live 16.0.2 or Behringer xr18 and use my MacBook/ipad to control it?

Tell me if you think I'm way off track here.

Thanks

I cannot see much logic in buying a mixer AND a multi-channel AI when there is this? Signature 12 MTK | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers

There are other brands/variations but the Signature series gets a good rep (there a bigger version, Sig'22) . Why flog the 2i4? You will get only peanuts for it and you will lose a MIDI interface should you need one in the future, in any case, always handy to have a 2 ch D/A that you can sit with and listen to mixes etc on.

As for 'pad' control? Ok I guess for gig sound checks but I have read it is far too fiddly for accurate mixing? (I suppose if you have a HUGE touch screen??)
Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK |

Dave.

I've had a good look at the Soundcraft 12mtk since you suggested it. Looks perfect and the Amazon price is just a little over $500AUD

Yes I take your point about keeping the little Focusrite and I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of fiddly controls on an iPad/desktop.

I'd be interested in hearing other suggestions.

I'd be inclined to go the way Dave suggests as well.

That gives you great capacity for live mixing as well as recording without having to get too many pieces of equipment talking to each other.

As for ipad control . . . very useful facility to have. You can leave the desk at side of stage and avoid the need for a multicore.

In the future we would like to: record live performances (with a desk or with a computer DAW)
record at home using either simultaneous tracks or overdubbing mix with at least 8 mic inputs

I use the Tascam US 16x8 Interface with Reaper Daw. For $360.00 is is a very decent set up.

with built in effects (reverb, compressor, gate etc) Thanks

I prefer to add these in if needed, via Reaper. If you add these effects in while you are recording and your settings are off, there is not a lot you can do as they will be embedded into the original audio file. The gate will give the worst results, IMHO if set improperly. There is nothing worst than having a great recording secession only to go back and listen to softer spots being gated out.

Back