To use Shure C606N (and how) or to buy USB mic? (NOOB ALERT)

TealObal

Hello,

I want to digitally record vocals using PC (notebook). All I have is Shure C606N (I have got it looong time, but I've never really used it) and, hmm, maximally 50-65$ to spend for now (less = better for my wallet).

I found something like USB to XLR cable converter (for example cheap (10$) one from eBay). Is that usable enough for amateurish home recording? Or better to buy something not so "made in China"?
Maybe better idea is to buy any USB audio interface with pre-amp microphone input, but, can I get anything good in this low price group?

Second idea is to buy USB microphone, if I will get better quality than the C606N, and in that nice low price group. So, can you please recommend me any?

What is the best but buget option?

I'm really looking forward for any answers and help, and I'm sorry if I'm "too noobish" as well as I'm sorry for my English.
Thanks,
TO

Giving an answer is difficult without knowing what you want to achieve.

You can use the Shure. You would need to get a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Then you can use this to connect the mike to the mike socket on the notebook.

You can then start recording, if you have some recording software.

This is where the questions arise.

1 what quality are you seeking?
2 what do you want to record?
3 do you have recording software?
4 do you want to hear something (e.g. a backing track or previously recorded material) playing back while you record?

Thanks for your answer.

I've got 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, but it's not very usable when connecting to the mike socket on the notebook, because of these reasons:
1. my notebook has only one headset socket with a combined audio, and it is so stupid, that if I connect only the mic, I can't record. It's not working. I know I can use splitter, but there are 2 more reasons why I don't want.
2. The volume of the mic is very low and than, if I increase the volume in software, there is lot of ugly and loud noise.
3. This noise is caused by the integrated soundcard in the notebook, and that noise is high even while using my headset and the quality. I can remove the noise in software, but it's not so nice and in record using the Shure with increased volume it is not possible.

And now, answers for questions that you gave:
1. I'm seeking for better quality than I get while using the mini-mic on Xiaomi Pistons 2 or using the combination the Shure + the internal soundcard. Best to start with no noise, or lower noise at least.
2. I want to record vocals, I mean singing.
3. No, I don't have any professional recording software, but this is not a problem. (Audacity is usable :D)
4. This is not a problem too. If I want to hear something, I know how and it's enough for me.

Thanks,
TO

We're getting closer.

I expected the answers you gave about using the mike socket on the notebook. They are all good reasons why you should think about alternatives.

For future flexibility, think about getting an audio interface. Something like the scarlett seems to be quite popular, and has features that you will use straight away, and others that will come in handy if you pursue your recording ambitions.

https://fso.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204189910-Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4

The interface takes over from your notebook's internal sound, and is specifically designed for recording. So you plug your mike into it, and your speakers or headphones. You also direct all your notebook's audio through it.

You can still use your Shure, but you will need to get an XLR to XLR cable for it, rather than the XLR to 6.5mm jack.

Audacity is fine.

The interface will give you the biggest jump in quality from what you currently can achieve.

However, if you continue, you will need to think about better mike, better speakers, better recording environment.

The future is far and I don't take it serious (I don't think I will ever do). It's only one of my hobbies. That maximally investment now is really only 65 dollars, but that Scarlett 2i4 is not so cheap. I know how it (usb audio interface) works, however it is really not necessary for me now (and probably will never be).
So, thanks for this recommendation, but for me it will be better to find something with drastically low investment, even if the quality will not be good. I think it always be better than the mic in my headset, haha.

What about that USB microphone? For example, if I compare Blue Microphones Snowball with Shure C606N + Lexicon ALPHA (or only Alesis MicLink XLR-USB), when I will get better recording quality?

Thanks,
TO

Back