Thoughts on Soundcloud Next Pro?

cfg

I have been an unpaid member of Soundcloud for a while. They have a special on their paid Next Pro level that has features like song distribution, advanced fan insights, etc. Any thoughts on Soundcloud Next Pro?

"Song distribution"? What does that entail? 'Advanced fan insights' - useless. SC is mostly other musicians, there are communities of like-minded players there, but no way to get your music out in front of the general non-musician public except by the usual self-marketing.

I have had a free soundcloud account for a loooooong time. The business model of running a site strictly on ads will work to sort of pay the bills and maybe even provide a decent income. Kind of like HR.com. They sell ad space and advertise their company Audiofanzine here....Totally a win for them. But the current trend is for all of these "Free" services is to get you to "upgrade" to the new and improved , more better , zippy zoomy awesome platform...or just stay where you're at and be a big ol slug. Me, I'm not drinking the Koolaid. I use Soundclick, Soundcloud and Youtube and other platforms like them to store and share my content. I pay nothing for what they provide, they accomplish what I am using them for with the limitations they put on me. None of their "special, new and improved offerings are going to be the magic voodoo to make that one song go viral. Sure I might get a small percentage of higher views but that is not what makes a song go viral. If it was that easy we'd all be doing it and retiring. On the budgeting side of life whenever I hear a salesperson tell me it's only xyz a month I immediately do the math and spit it back at them. E.g. $5 a month $60 a year / $600 for 10 years...is it worth it? Well heck that's hardly nothing I can afford that. But the fly in the ointment is that they add up quick and multiply and you forget about them, that $5 a month charge is just tiny in the big bill. That is until you realize you have 5 or 10 of these almost free accounts floating in your budget. If you have 5 at $5 ( and we all have several that are more) that's $25 a month, thats $300 a year, $3K in 10 years ...with 10 it's $600 a year $6K in 10. That's at $5 a month...Netflix, hulu, Disneyand so many others all chipping away at our bank accounts every month and slowly going up each year... turns into 20 to 30K in 10 years for shit we really don't need...OK that's my rant...
Coincidentally about 10 minutes before I saw your post y I was clicking the e-mail tickle from Soundcloud today myself. I had clicked on one of their click baits a while back to see what it would cost. As per my rant above I did not sign up but they now send me this every month trying to make me think I did. When I click on the link to view my "monthly earnings statement" it takes me to the next page....Hmmm give access to Soundcloud for Artist to my soundcloud account. NOPE cya bye!

My advice is free and you get what you pay for :laughings: :eek:

1669903491476.png

1669903916071.png

Back