Thinking about buying the firebox... Firewire ?

Blakeb

Hi there,

I want to buy the Presonus Firebox but I see it uses firewire. My computer does not have an input for firewire.

I have a 2000 Gateway, 2gig processor, 1gig memory.

I am very unfamiliar with firewire...

Will I have to buy a port to intal into my computer to take firewire signal?

Excuse the newbishness.

Please direct me to the product/advice I need.

THanks,!

Yes, you can get PCI cards which will give you firewire connection. So as long as you have a spare PCI slot you're set. They're not too expensive, you'll usually find you get a few firewire ports and sometimes some additional USB ports as well on the same card (which always come in handy).

Something like this:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=200433&pcount=&Product_Id=125578

I'm not in the US but any of the online computer retailers would probably do things like this for a better price.

Sure you can install a PCI firewire card, butt....being that your computer didn't originally come with firewire support, you really need to make sure that the motherboard in your computer can handle it. Also keep in mind that some PCI slots are independent so to speak and others share resources with other slots, (ie: video cards and such) which can affect the performance good or bad. Im sure there are other folks on this forum who can give you more detailed info. but bottom line is.. IMO, do your homework before ya spend big $$$ on something, and find out later that you can't use it unless you do a major upgrade. It will all pay off.;)

Back