The Year of the Black Water Dragon sent me in a different direction

Whatmysay

Folks I don't know where this one came from or what it is - Indie Pop?

Its Jimmy Somerville meets John Barry strings section with Daft Punk singing backup

Really interested in those of you that produce dance music to chip in on production as it is an area I really want to develop. But feedback from everyone is welcome - even if it is not your 'speciality area'. I'm no purist as this track demonstrates.

Tonight we made a Perfect Universe
(Burt Crow Jan 2012)
Your door at midnight
Your smile in the starlight
There’s been some nervous hesitation
Though you are worth the waiting
Then we kiss
Ch
Tonight we made a perfect universe
With planet and the satellites aligned
Tonight we made a perfect universe
I over you at the speed of light
Tonight
Body’s moving near
Reflections in a mirror
As close as a split atom
Lets start a chain reaction
Lets kiss
Ch
Rpt fade

It sounds a lot like Japanese pop. But it's missing that really crisp, driving beat that defines the genre. And the vocals aren't very pleasing. They have kind of a lo-fi wash over them that's just unappealing. So, try to make the tune a bit more punchy and bright and fix up those vocals. This song is begging to be crisp and bright but the current EQ is holding it back. It kind of reminds me of that Nyan Cat video on YouTube. Ha ha ha!

Not at all. The vocals are the most interesting part on this - very unique. There is good and bad to be found in this track from my standpoint.

The telephoney vocals during the verses are kind of quirky and cool. The part towards the end where most of the instruments dropped out and you sang the chorus part was pretty effective, and there was a cool, deep pulse at one point reminiscent of a heartbeat.

On the downside, it seemed like the chorus lacked oomph and it didn't really provide the pay off one would expect in this sort of number (note: I am definitely not a dance music producer) and the overall production just seemed too lo fi for this genre. It lacked the clarity and dynamic range one would expect and instead sounded overall kind of mid rangey and somewhat small. Very interesting though and my daughter sitting nearby commented that she liked it very much.

Thx Heat

I think it has been a really interesting experiment. I think maybe the chords(C - Am - Dm - G) and rate of change are just too old hack for the genre. But making it I learnt how to side chain into the vocoder in Logic, how to export vocals into midi from Melodyne and built my own loop from a single hits - so lots of firsts. I got some other ideas for string arrangements as well - so a win I guess.

I'm glad your daughter liked it, my daughters just said "why are you singing in that weird voice dad?"

Cheers
Burt

The song is cool. Quite cheesy at times. :) But good all the same.
I like the vocal style, but they need to be more upfront in the mix, just a little.

The mix as a whole is a bit cluttered, try using high pass on tracks, and cuts in the low mids here and there. and get that high end nice and crystal. :)

G

Back