The "Presonus TrakMaster ThreeQ" ...or should I take up knitting?

kc0jsj

Hey everyone,

After decades of reading on this forum (starting about an hour ago:P), I have narrowed my low-budget search for a compressor/preamp to these three contestants:

Joemeek's ThreeQ
Presonus Studio Channel
Focurite TrakMaster

If YOU were stranded on an island with nothing to do but record music in a studio set up by a poor college student, which of these apparatus's would you choose and why? Within the same price range ( < $400), would you recommend any others?

For the record (pun intended....so laugh), I am currently using an ART TubePac preamp/compressor and am not too happy with the sound. It seems that the minute I get the right output level, the tube punches quality in the face and I end up with a tin-can kinda feel that makes me want to throw a rock at an innocent bystander....and I'm not the violent type.

So please, do your part to better society and give this poor soul some advice!

Thanks so much,

Michael

I'd get a RNP and skip the compressor all together. No need for a compressor on the input chain...

This sentence bugs me:
It seems that the minute I get the right output level, the tube punches quality in the face
Are you overdriving the preamp and then wondering why it sounds like you're overdriving the preamp?

Call me jaded, but the "right output level" is usually considerably (CONSIDERABLY!!!) less than what many people tend to shoot for... http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.php

Back