The Old Ways Loreena McKennitt Cover

Synergie

Hi guys I am new here and joined because I am looking for info and tips on home recording... Right now I am using an Apex 515 condenser hybrid mic with the cardioid capsule.... (it has 3 separate capsules), TC Helicon Voice Live Touch, Roland Acoustic Chorus 60 amp... plugging my guitar directly into the Voice Live Touch because it's also an acoustic guitar effects processor. Recording directly from line out on the amp to garage band on my Mac Book Pro (for now until I get a better set-up... one thing at a time LOL It's not inexpensive! :) )

Anyway, still learning the effects on the VoiceLive Touch.... was just messing around and recorded this so I thought I'd share... my guitar playing on this isn't too good (I'm suffering from a left wrist injury right now)

Song is 'The Old Ways' by Loreena McKennitt... hope I didn't massacre it! LOL

Attachments

• TheOldWays.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
Sounds great - tons of cool effects from that Voice Live. Vocals are near perfect - I especially like that sound at 1:33 on the word "why" - favorite of mine with singers. Prepare for the hard core recording guys to say - record dry and add effects later. That is a good idea as it gives you mixing flexibility but for now this sounds pretty darn good...

Thanks so much for your comments! I actually got the VoiceLive Touch for live play :) The vocal harmonies you can do with it Live are pretty neat! I just have fun playing with it so much that I use it at home too! I'm not really all that serious about recording like studio quality yet, though I do have a studio condenser (just an Art MTwo) but I don't have a way to block out bad sounds really yet so I don't use it a whole lot. The mic I do use (Apex 515) is actually a condenser though and does work VERY well for vocal dynamics and clarity... but it can be used on stage as well. (keep in mind none of my gear is really expensive - except my guitar I have a Martin OMCPA3 which is my baby LOL)

Being a Loreena McKennitt fan, I was motivated to listen to your treatment.

You have that lilting airy voice that is well suited to that style of music.

I think you should record dry and add effects later (LOL).

Try doing the song a tone higher. Your pitching is stronger on the higher notes, but the low notes are at the bottom of your range, and are starved of power. Listen to "night", for example, at 0:30, and other low notes throughout.

I sense that you are just starting out on this recording stuff, so you've achieved a commendable result with what you've got.

Thanks Gecko :) I always knew I was a soprano :P I seem to get more accurate the higher I sing LOL but this song just sounds good with those low haunting notes thrown in... I suppose capo one fret up wouldn't make too much difference though. (oh wait... that would only be a semi-tone LOL) Maybe I will try and then compare both.

Back