The Medium is the Message

drstawl

Banned
Maybe this whole discussion of which online storage to go with should really be investigating the storage format as well as the services. So far I've checked out FreeDrive, JustOn and Click2Send. They all have their quirks, but they all work.
I've posted a very long piece (for me) at JustOn (just click the URL below) in
RealAudio G2 format. I've also posted the same file in its original .wav format at
Click2Send if you've got 3.5 hours (@56K) to download it. I think the comparison makes the G2 format (32Kbps Mono vs. 128Kbps Stereo for typical .mp3) sound really good.

44.1KHz/16 bit stereo 1441 Kbps .Wav format 49423 KB [4:48]

Click2Send box: Wave Trades
Password: cgc_too
Filename: April99_Sample.wav

JustOn: 32 Kbps RealAudio format 1154 KB [4:48]
http://www.juston.com/public/drstawl/April99_Sample.rm

Doc, the rm file sounds great, so if I've got this right we could use files like these, which are mono, for downloading tracks so we could practice or fill in additional tracks for each other? You had a 4 minuet song for only 1.1 meg, so 4 tracks a little over 4meg's. I think you're on to somethig here.

Actually closer to 5 minutes... :)
Well I was really focusing on a file format we could use to exchange initial ideas to decide what we wanted to work on at all and at the same time getting folks to do the math and decide whether a long download of whatever size is worth the effort. For mixing purposes, 16 bit 44.1KHz mono is the skimpiest format that really makes sense, though you can get reasonable output from 128 Kbps .mp3 files if you can live with the compression.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 11-21-1999).]

Yeah, I get that, but for scratch tracks or noodling around it would be great. Also it would shorten that dang download thing! A very big issue for most.

You could always make a mono reduced bit rate file (this is just for swapping ideas) and run it though a program to speed it up a few 100%. The downloader would just have to slow it back down for playback. Call it poor man's compression!
I got the idea from slowing down scratch samples to figure out what album they were off of. :)

Yeah- but I was mentioning a format that even modem users could access without too much pain. At 1181696 bytes for 4:48, that's
4103.11 bytes/sec. ~250KB/min.
There's no need to exchange files below this standard now or in the forseeable future.
I welcome any rebuttal on this topic.

Back