The Final Sound

The Uninvited

After much experimentation, I have found the best method is to do my mixing via a low quality sound reproduction system, bringing out the best sound I can and then listen via a high quality system once I feel things are right.
To do this I have a simple by-pass switch which takes the sound directly from the mixing desk to the monitors (no graphic eq, no sub and a basic power amp). Once I have what I feel is a pretty well mixed and balance sound, the by-pass is lifted and I can hear what the mix will sound like at a sonic maximum.
This way, I get a fair idea of what the listener will hear via a basic cheap low powered playback system and also at the other end, the discerning audiophile with a few thousand pounds worth of hi fi stacked in his lounge.
It works for me

That's a pretty common approach. NS10s are the famous average hifi-monitor.

I'm thinking of adding JBL 4406s along side my mackies for the same reason, but I haven't decided if it'll be worth it just yet.

That's what I was shooting for when I upgraded my speakers. Kept my old Gen 1 Rokit 5s got rid of the Gen 2 8's and got some really nice M-Audio M3-8s. I can switch (on my SSL in Reason) between the two easily, and have a sub hooked into the monitor out on the US-1800 that I can fade in and out to give that feel as well.

Still nothing like compiling to CD and running it around to the Pioneers in the living room, the Bose system in the kids room, the car and my wife's computer (where the 8's went). Get a good feel in four different environments and the car. :thumbs up:

Back