The Death of Mistakes

I just figured that if they did it in post, they would have pitch centered the vibrato instead of flat-lining it.

I had no intention or redirecting/jacking this thread. I just don't hear pitch correction here. Many times during the song especially in the beginning and the very last vocal line, it is not perfect in pitch. Places where you would expect it to be used.

I don't myself hear any 'flat-lining' of vibrato. I think that is just his vocal technique. More of a push to the level of his voice as opposed to a pitch variation vibrato like someone like Geoff Tate. And no, I am no fan of Disturbed or whatever the singers name is. But I thought that was quite a solid rendition of the song. Whether post modified or not...

So back to the point for myself... It is always a pleasure to hear a great performer knock the shit out of the park naturally. Whatever that means. Some mistakes are the best part of a performance.

In my experience some singers may need a bit of help. I don't find that to be a bad thing necessarily. I don't want to sit here and listen to the same vocal over and over again and comp it together. Neither does the singer. If a track has the emotion and a note is off a bit, I will surely use a tool to save the time.

But man, when someone comes in and nails it...it is music to my ears. Mistakes and all.

I would rather not enhance any performance. But I also am not recording bands that necessarily spent every second of every day of their life writing and perfecting their craft like life allowed in the past. More older buddies that have jobs and wives and kids. Like I do...

Performance is performance. I always told my bandmates the mistakes are gone in a second but that's where you perfect your skills. It seems In the olden days...every band's first album was their best because they had paid their dues and played those songs till they were second nature even with the improvised live solos. I still enjoy some of the really old tunes where everyone played around a mic into a mono recording and it sounded like a band. Of course if we had the Wrecking Crew to record there would little to fix. Just my opinion.

While i know when to correct my mistakes, i'm also lazy and impatient when it comes to my own stuff. I'm working on a song now where i never quite figured out how i wanted the bridge part to end, to transition back into the last verse. After a couple of rounds of guitar and bass takes, where i just kind of winged it to keep it going, i listened back and figured it sounded cooler with two or three totally different things going on. It sort of breaks down into chaos a little bit and then picks back up at the verse. It reminds me of early grunge bands a little and kind of reflects the lyrical content, which is all about a [fictional] dysfunctional relationship. So while i did do a decent amount of correction to timing and pitch on the vocals (because honestly i suck but i'm all i got), and did several takes on the instruments until i got parts with (hopefully!) fewer obvious mistakes, i had no problem leaving in a hot mess i had originally intended to fix up later.

I feel that in music, like Navajo weavings, there probably should be a mistake. Not a big awful one, just a little imperfection to remind the listener that we're all just walking, talking blobs of imprecise meat.

Back