TEAC A-3440 Take up reel not strong enough?

Fnicallo

Hi

I have a Teac A-3440 and I have been using it the last two years in my studio. Everything worked fine. I did not use it for about 4 months though and wanted to play back a new reel I bought on a flea-market. But it didn't. It would rewind and fast forward perfectly fine but when I pressed play, it jumped into position but did not spin. I looked into your forum and found a couple of threads. But here is why my case is different (I think). It plays back just fine if the take up reel does not carry any tape. I just wonder why all of a sudden the take up reel is not strong enough to pull the tape?
Could that be the case?
Thanks for your help.

Best, David

Hi

I have a Teac A-3440 and I have been using it the last two years in my studio. Everything worked fine. I did not use it for about 4 months though and wanted to play back a new reel I bought on a flea-market. But it didn't. It would rewind and fast forward perfectly fine but when I pressed play, it jumped into position but did not spin. I looked into your forum and found a couple of threads. But here is why my case is different (I think). It plays back just fine if the take up reel does not carry any tape. I just wonder why all of a sudden the take up reel is not strong enough to pull the tape?
Could that be the case?
Thanks for your help.

Best, David
Bad tape with sticky shed syndrome most likely. Toss it. Clean you entire tape path and use newly made tape. Forget NOS stuff. It's a false economy that could possibly ruin your machine.

Bad tape with sticky shed syndrome most likely. Toss it. Clean you entire tape path and use newly made tape. Forget NOS stuff. It's a false economy that could possibly ruin your machine.
Thanks for your reply. I tested it also with my often used SM468 tape. Same problem. No matter if small or big reels.
As soon as there is not tape on the take up, it plays and when I reel it up it just refuses to play. would it recognize bad/broken tape? Like sticky shed syndrome? The way I understand it is that it means that tape has gone bad right? It is very humid at the moment in my studio. Could that be a reason?
Thanks for you help guys

The usual test is to simply stick on two empty reels, defeat the end of tape guides that trigger a stop when tape breaks and simulate playback, and both winds - use your fingers to estimate the torque being generated by the motors. I used to have a spring gauge to actually measure it, but that got broken years back. putting your finger on the spool you can feel how hard the motor is spinning the reels. If the torque seems OK, as in the right sort of oomph to spool the tape when it emerges from the capstan/pinchwheel, then load up your tape spool to spool, NOT passing through the head block and guides and with your fingers providing some back pressure on the supply spool - see if you can wind the tape from one to the other. You have to defeat the stops again, of course. OK tape just spools quietly and normally, albiet with very ragged overlaps. The dodgy tape either just is reluctant to do this at all, or sort of speeds up/slows down. If the tape is sticky or contaminated if you are struggling, and the content is not vital, then with a third hand from somebody else, you can sandwich the tape between some soft cloth as it goes left to right, which will soon tell you if there is gunk there.

I'm trying to remember all the old tricks and solutions. It could be, of course, a fault. During record and play, the motor torque is significantly reduced. You might find that it just isn't enough any longer. I don't know how the 3340 manages the take up spool current?

But here is why my case is different (I think). It plays back just fine if the take up reel does not carry any tape.
Sorry, but this makes zero sense. "It plays back just fine if the take up reel does not carry any tape."
How can it possibly "play back" if the take up reel doesn't "carry any tape"?

I might have used wrong words to describe it.
The motor spins the plate, if I press play and there is no tape on the take up reel. Meaning, the playpack function works, as long as there is no tape attached to the take up reel.

Still not very clear. Do you mean that with no spool on the right side pressing play spins the spool carrier, but the weight of the spool on it prevents it turning? That's mechanical. Does the spin stop when you push down on the centre, simulating weight.

Or do you mean it spins, but has very little torque, so winding the tape and taking up the slack is weak? Assuming the motors can fast forward OK, this is probably electrical.

Maybe a little 5 second video?

As you can see by my avatar, I have a Revox 8 track. Before my tape goes anywhere towards the take up reel, there is an optical sensor. If no tape is present, motors will not engage. I can bypass that by putting my finger on the sensor and the motors will engage.
Decades ago I had a 3440. My recollection was that if the tape tension arm was in the "down" position, i.e. no tape, the motors would not run.
As Rob said, a vid would be helpful.
Meaning, the playpack function works, as long as there is no tape attached to the take up reel.
How could you possibly know that the "playback function" works if there is no tape? No tape = no sound. That is logically impossible.

As you can see by my avatar, I have a Revox 8 track. Before my tape goes anywhere towards the take up reel, there is an optical sensor. If no tape is present, motors will not engage. I can bypass that by putting my finger on the sensor and the motors will engage.
Decades ago I had a 3440. My recollection was that if the tape tension arm was in the "down" position, i.e. no tape, the motors would not run.
As Rob said, a vid would be helpful.

How could you possibly know that the "playback function" works if there is no tape? No tape = no sound. That is logically impossible.
Thanks to all of you for taking time and trying to help.
I will make a video as soon as I can.
I will try to explain once more though.
You are correct, the tape tension arm needs to be held down in ordner to simulate playback.
What I meant is that the plates and reels are spinning when I press play and hold down the tape tension arm simulteniously (I called this „playback is working“)
But as soon as I literally slide the tape through the playback heads and connect it to the wind up reel, it won‘t spinn after pressing play.
I am constantly working at the moment and will need a couple days before I can make a video.
Thank you for your time and help

You are correct, the tape tension arm needs to be held down in ordner to simulate playback.
What I meant is that the plates and reels are spinning when I press play and hold down the tape tension arm simulteniously (I called this „playback is working“)
I don't mean to sound condescending, but are you certain that you have routed the tape property? According to the directions?
Since it's been a while since you used it, maybe you should look at a manual or a video to make sure that the tape path is correct. It's easy to forget and route it incorrectly

Attachments

• Tape path.jpg
    Tape path.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back