TC Electronic Finalizer hook up

willwham1

I have a tascam fw 1884, logic w/mac pro and want to hook up my Finalizer via S/PDIF on the Tascam and use it as a plug in in Logic so that I can record the finished track as my "Mastered" finished song. I have trouble with latency and feedback loops and cannot figure out how to work around this. Please let me know what I need to do as I am not too savvy with technical issues. Thankx

You're going to have to come back to a different input - And that input ALONE needs to be routed to your monitoring controller.

Latency is going to happen. Just trim it post-capture.

I just bought the Finalizer Express. I'll admit I'm a dumbass when it comes to this...haha

I have the Profire 2626, and Logic Pro 8.

I have an XLR to TRS cable. - Also S/pdif cables.

I can't get it to be recognized in Logic (or with my Profire)

I tried the I/O plug-in in logic, but it wouldn't work either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I bought toslink fiber optic cables today (2). Has anyone had success with this way? I'll try this way if it's any easier. Any help would be most appreciated

It's really easy, you just have to route it properly.

1. Send the mix output to whatever outputs you have hooked to the finalizer inputs

2. Hook the finalizer outputs to a set of inputs on your interface.

3. Turn off ALL monitoring both in logic and hardware monitoring on your interface. (if you don't, you will create a feedback loop)

4. Create a stereo track in Logic and route the inputs to that track.

5. Hit record.

You just need to think it through: You are playing the mix out to the finalizer. (no problem, just route the mix to a set of outputs) You are also recording the output of the finalizer. (no problem, just create a track and route the inputs to it) Normally, you want to hear what you are recording (for monitoring purposes), but in this case you don't want that to happen because it will send the output of the finalizer to the input of the finalizer and cause a feedback loop.

thanks for the advice! I got it working thru S/PDIF. I also have adat cables, and have heard it would be better quality. Is this accurate? I'll try to route it this way, if I can. thanks again!

thanks for the advice! I got it working thru S/PDIF. I also have adat cables, and have heard it would be better quality. Is this accurate? I'll try to route it this way, if I can. thanks again!

S/PDIF optical cables and connectors are the same as ADAT Lightpipe cables and connectors. They just carry a different kind of digital signal. S/PDIF coaxial cables carry the same signal as S/PDIF optical but I've heard there's more degradation of the optical signal over relatively short lengths compared to coax.

So is a Finalizer worth the money compared to all the mastering plugins around?

I've been thinking about getting one as I really like having hardware gear to save CPU in addition to having physical knobs to tweak.

I gave up my TC finalizer and went with the *Focusrite - Platinum Mixmaster Analogue Mastering Processor* Read up on it HERE.

So is a Finalizer worth the money compared to all the mastering plugins around?

I've been thinking about getting one as I really like having hardware gear to save CPU in addition to having physical knobs to tweak.

I've never hit any processing limits in a mastering session. It's only one stereo track and two or three plugins. Undo, redo, saving presets in the DAW and being able to render faster than real time all seem like advantages that outweigh having physical knobs.

I gave up on my Finalizer so quickly that I honestly can't remember if I gave it away.

I did keep my Quantum II... (A) Just sounds considerably better (IMO). (B) Superior converters (that still hold up to this day). It's more or less a "backup converter set" which doesn't see much use. But I need that backup converter set... It keeps my main converters from thinking they have it easy.

But in any case -- There isn't too much HP lacking from most DAW's these days. I'd much rather be ITB with Samplitude or something that working with a Finalizer.

Quantum II...

I search the web for this but find nothing but the famous Quantum II helmet, the famous Quantum II Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer and oh there it is. Looks like a great piece too!

But in any case -- There isn't too much HP lacking from most DAW's these days. I'd much rather be ITB with Samplitude or something that working with a Finalizer.

I see, so I guess there is no need for an external one then. Not yet at least.

I have the Quantum and the Finalizer, and use them both rarely, usually as a multi-band comps... of the two I agree, the Quantum is a better sounding unit. But I wouldn't buy either for even close to retail at this point, I just won't give them up for what I could get for them now.

Back