Tascam Score

My experience with older Tascam stuff is that it has always been very robustly built. For ā€˜semi-proā€™ gear itā€™s been very solid compared to its competitors such as Fostex.

I had briefly a fostex mixerā€¦. Too plasticy.

It wasnā€™t until the more modern portsastudios that Tascam got more plastic.

My experience with older Tascam stuff is that it has always been very robustly built. For ā€˜semi-proā€™ gear itā€™s been very solid compared to its competitors such as Fostex.

I had briefly a fostex mixerā€¦. Too plasticy.

It wasnā€™t until the more modern portsastudios that Tascam got more plastic.
I agree 100%.

Nice equipment. I used to own an M-308, but at the time I didnt have much spare time to use it as I had hoped to.

Nowadays, I have an M-1516, which is a few years newer (early 90's vs mid-late 80's).

I imagine both models are evenly matched in functionality and features?

One thing I do like is the upright VU meters on the 308, they are easier to see, which is a nice feature going back to the Model 2A/MB-20 meter bridge, compared to the M-106 (only two meters and flat down, not upright).

The M-1516 is nice in that you can lift/carry it without too much strain & effort, its not too heavy despite its somewhat large appearance.

I imagine both models are evenly matched in functionality and features?

Short answer: no.

The big differences between the M-300 and M-1500 series:

M-300 is a much more robust build, a lot more metal, a lot less plastic, full size metal bodied pots with metal shafts instead of all plastic, larger format push switches on the M-300ā€¦larger size chassis-mount faders on the M-300 instead of small form-factor horizontal PCB-mount fadersā€¦and optional full-size conductive plastic unitsā€¦M-300 series has higher headroom throughout with +/-15V audio power rails and an ample capacity linear power supplyā€¦M-1500 series is +/-12V with a less overbuilt switching type supplyā€¦you mentioned the metersā€¦larger size analog VU units on the M-300, low resolution LED bar graph type on the M-1500ā€¦jacks mounted right to the channel PCBs on the M-1500ā€¦separate backplane jack PCBs on the M-300ā€¦basically the M-300 is in a completely different class in terms of the durability, reliability and longevity. And the signal path on the M-1500 is significantly ā€œvalue-engineeredā€ compared to the M-300. I would pick the M-300 over the M-1500 every and any day. This is not to say the M-1500 is ā€œbadā€, the M-1500 just suffers from market value engineering. It has a few additional features that make it a little more flexible than the M-300 series, but nothing one canā€™t live without AFAICā€¦and yes it is definitely lighter and more compact. But the M-300 is a better console series according to those things that, IMO, are important.

Back