Tascam Porta 02 mkii - Stuttering Sound when in 'Safe Mode'

Roasted86

Hi Everyone,

I was recently tidying my loft when I stumbled across my old Tascam Porta 02 mkii ministudio!
Naturally I abandoned the loft clear out and, like an excited schoolboy, set up my Porta 02.

I turned it on to find that it still worked! hurrah!

However, when my tracks are set to 'safe mode' the playback doesn't function correctly.
The sound stutters and the the led's bounce up and down.

I'm using the correct type of tape (albeit an old one)
I'm using an old AKG mic which records correctly to the tracks
I am taking the line out to my BX8a studio monitors

This only happens when set to 'safe mode'

Here is a link to the manual: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/320/Porta_02_manual.pdf

Anyone got an idea as to what is going on?

Roasted86.

Not really,...

maybe work the Rec Func switches back and forth a bit. The Safe position maybe dusty or tarnished inside.
:spank::eek:;)

Hi Everyone,

I was recently tidying my loft when I stumbled across my old Tascam Porta 02 mkii ministudio!
Naturally I abandoned the loft clear out and, like an excited schoolboy, set up my Porta 02.

I turned it on to find that it still worked! hurrah!

However, when my tracks are set to 'safe mode' the playback doesn't function correctly.
The sound stutters and the the led's bounce up and down.

I'm using the correct type of tape (albeit an old one)
I'm using an old AKG mic which records correctly to the tracks
I am taking the line out to my BX8a studio monitors

This only happens when set to 'safe mode'

Here is a link to the manual: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/320/Porta_02_manual.pdf

Anyone got an idea as to what is going on?

Roasted86.
10 years later but I’m having the exact same issue right now. Any wisdom to share?

Unfortunately I would need a service manual to even begin formulating an answer. And I do not have one.

Thanks. The service manual is for the mkI version not mkII, so I don’t know what all is different with the internals. So this is still something akin to shooting in the dark. Does it do it when only one or the other channel is in SAFE status, or only when both are in SAFE? And regardless playback of all 4 tracks is impacted? Have you tried recording something and playing back in a standard cassette deck to determine if it is recording okay? Have you tried a different power supply? Also it might be time to replace at least the filter caps hanging off the power input. It’s a pair of 100uF caps at least on the mkI.

Back