Tascam 488 mkII

Mikey

I've read a whole bunch of stuff about this Tascam 8 track recorder.. but I want to hear about it from someone who uses it personally. Not someone who reviewed it.I have an electric guitar, pedals and a good amp so thats all good. All i need is some drum samples and bass samples. Besides running around to drummer friends carrying the damn thing i wanted to just get it myself off the cpu and use that in my recording. Suggestions?

The Tascam 488 8 track will give you a lot of fun and the learning curve isn't too long. You will find that "clicks" and "Pops" do occur using this box; that's why digital is sooo much better. But, for several years, I recorded some nice stuff on the 488. If you notice in the trade/selling magazines, the price of the 488 has dropped and will continue to drop as the 488 sails off into the sunset of its sounds.

The manual is fair; use only 60 minute tapes to record on the 8 track.

A drum machine hooks in nicely since there are a couple of effects/sends on the box.

The rewind is all right but on my MD8 8 track, it's only a touch of a button and, ZAP, right back to start.

I was happy with the 488 for a few years and I'd guess you will be too. Enjoy the box but think digital.

The Green Hornet

Digital? Well, maybe i'll wait a couple of months and save up some more cash to go digital.. If so what do you suggest then for digital recording..i really don't want to turn my Cpu into a studio though..

Mikey:

In reality, a Yamaha MD-8 digital 8 tracks costs about 100 dollars more than the 488 Tascam if you shop around the 800 numbers.

But, I'll wager that Yamaha will soon offer another new model MD-8 without compression, better sounds; that's how Yam operates.

For around the same money the Korg 8 track has gotten some good reviews; but, as I understand the box, you can only record on two tracks at a time; I've hardly ever used more than two tracks at once but others do other things.

If you have a PC, I guess you can opt for many types of "in the box" recording programs. Think you might want to shop around and listen and pick the system that best fits your needs and budget.

Good shopping,
Green Hornet

Back