Tascam 488 MkII not playing or recording.

jsauce

Hi. I just got my tapes today and decided to try recording for the first time on my tascam 488 mkii. I followed everything well and was able to record on to track one and play it back perfectly. Then when I went to record on track 2it wouldn't work. I then disarmed the track and tried to play the tape but the play button did nothing when i clicked it. I can ff/rewind stop pause rtz but the recording and playing function just stopped after one take. I've heard this could be a belt issue. I'm just looking to see if I'm possibly doing something wrong or if it is indeed a mechanical problem. I turned all the tracks off of line in and back to tape. The tape cue is on in the monitor selection. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

I used to have the MK1 and it's been a while since I operated one {I sold it at Christmas 2018} but when I used to have difficulties with any of the buttons, I used to get them replaced. In 26 years they needed replacing twice although funnily enough, never the record button.
Only twice did I find that a track wouldn't record properly. The first time, I'd had the 488 for about 4 months. A good head clean sorted that out, which was odd as I used to clean before and after every session. The second time, I remember getting it serviced, which brings me to my question ~ is there anywhere you can get it serviced ? Being a cassette portastudio, you may find that hard nowadays but it's not impossible. Where are you based ?

Back