Tascam 388 Assistance (VU meters)

viktorfeliu

Ugh,

The last thing I wanted to do was bother anyone. But after looking through the 16 pages under the search results of "Tascam 388", I found nothing. The weird thing is, I went through all of this, because I was sure I saw something before on this. If anyone could redirect me to the right thread, I would be grateful.

So, problem. My Tascam 388. All I want, is to see the needle move on any of the channels. They don't budge. At one point, I did see them move, but I remember how they did. When I record, it functions.

I have a mic plugged into the line input on the 5th (I've attempted on all channels with the same problem, I just left it on 5)
Tape is loaded properly (I hear sound, only when selecting "L/R" on the specified track, that has an instrument obviously)
Also when selecting 'L/R' the two Stereo VU meters function properly

When I record, I have to push down "5/6" (where I then hear nothing) [and the channels record button] for the sound to be recorded onto the tape
I only know it's recorded, because I rewind, then playback, I hear it.

Stereo is selected.

I made sure no other bus on any other track was pushed down.

I looked through all the forums for all the advice.

I must be doing something wrong since I've had the VU needles working at one point.

Just want to make sure my Levels are right before recording, y'know. Plus the OL does nothing since the VU meters do nothing

Thank you for any advice given : )

I reread this, I meant

"At one point, I did see them move, but I don't remember how they did. When I record, it functions. "

Make sure the L/R buttons are not pushed down while recording. These should only be down on playback. During recording for track 5, just push the 5/6 button down. Then the red track 5 record button so the light flashes. Use the monitor knob for track 5 to adjust the volume and panning so you can hear what your recording.Then on play back,make sure the track 5 record button is up(off) and then push down the L/R button on channel 5.Switch to RMX and push play.Your meters should move.

Back