Tascam 246 Problem.

everton

I have a Tascam 246 that i purchased new many years ago. it has been well cared however it has been sitting for awhile as it was "eating" tapes in the 'play' mode. I changed the belts and checked the capstan drive. It looks OK. Now, it will not run in FF or Rew. and if I try to to play a tape only the feed reel turns.
Anybody had this problem or have an idea what has happened.

Everton

Definitely the tires. Super easy fix. 5bucks on ebay. or try cleaning them with windex or rubber renew, tho i'd just replace them. They're cheap enough. Might as well spend 12.95 on a new pinch roller too and be done with it. You'll be good to go.

Definitely the tires. Super easy fix. 5bucks on ebay. or try cleaning them with windex or rubber renew, tho i'd just replace them. They're cheap enough. Might as well spend 12.95 on a new pinch roller too and be done with it. You'll be good to go.

Thanks Aaron, how do I get to them. I changed out the capstan roller yesterday.

Everton

I replaced the tires in my 246 a couple of years ago. IIRC, they are kept in place by a very small retaining washer. Be very, very careful removing said washer. Ask me how I know..... :o

Fortunately, I found it......

What I try to do when removing the plastic retaining washer is: While lightly holding one finger on top of it, use a mini flat head screwdriver and pry it up just past the groove on the metal post. Slowly lift your finger and grab the washer with a set of Tweezers and set it aside in a safe place.

Everton 246 problem 2

You were correct, when I went back in and looked at the tires they were discussing. totally melted. What a mess. I since (as of yesterday) have replaced the two tires and cleaned up the reels and the spindle. The machine now will play, rew. and ff. Thank you.
However, I have now encountered a second problem. When I put a pre-recordered tape in the machine and pushed the play button everything looked normal. The meter bridge was working as were the pgm out meters.
I noticed that the DBX light was blinking so I turned off the switch in the rear and it dutifully went out. I then turned it back on. making a decision I wanted to listen to a tape I hooked the left/right Monitor outputs to my RX.
Turned the tape machine on and pushed PLAY the tape plays but I have nothing on the meter bridge and no sound output ANYWHERE. I checked the meter bridge with a microphone and a record player and the bridge is working, but I still have no sound from the cassette. The output amp is working because I can listen to a record from my turntable.
This seems to be a coincidental action with my turning ON and OFF the DBX switch....or the playback head. (that's odd because it did play when I first inserted a cassette.) Any ideas???

Monitor switching on the 246 switched to cue instead of remix?

246 monitor outs plugged into RX's tape output instead of input?

RX's tape monitor button on?

Headphones on 246 output sound?

Cheers! :)

Back