Syzygy II, an instrumental

sammydix

OP: got together with a flautist (just because it was something I'd never done) to put this semi-structured piece together.
All percs and sounds Sampletank3.

guitar is me playing a phrase, then I looped it.
Then I pitched it up a 5th and looped it again.

Vic Diesel: All flutes.

https://app.box.com/s/l8d3bshzh1c26s5znaj9isl7g9gfekxz4z

Not quiiiite the same genre as you hear me on Music to Murder with Kindafishy.

Observations welcome.

Last edited:
Ok. Any crit has value, I just couldn't seem to get any.
Dropped to the bottom the very first day, though with 100 views and
I do comment around every week. Didn't expect a lot, but I did expect at least one.
Thanks, I'd pretty much lost 'faith' and bowed out.
That was the coolest gesture I've seen here yet.

I re-up'd.

I appreciate the kind words, but they are undeserved. The praise should go to the guys on this site who can actually provide good mix or musical advice. To quote a shitty movie about Al Capone I saw part of a few months ago, I just tend to "run my mouth like a whorehouse terlet."

This reminds me of background music from a Rambo movie. Not really my thing (the music), but it sounds pretty good for what it is. I couldn't find anything I'd change in the mix. I was going to say the guitar should be louder once the cymbal kicks in around :41, but after listening the whole way through, I think you got the levels right. I am not listening on proper monitors, so take that for what it's worth.

If you play on the Music To Murder stuff on here, kudos... you guys play good rock and roll.

think you should write a song around this,female vocals could go great with it :)

very nice sounding bit of work :)

the only thing that stands out for me is the limiter,you hit that hard .. imo tracks like this need to breathe

anyhoo,i listened first then downloaded it .. will defo listen again but i would much rather listen to your next mix/write song around it should you do one :D

nice :)

btw i don't listen to all the tracks around here,but i try and get few in at the weekends ;)

I appreciate the kind words, but they are undeserved. The praise should go to the guys on this site who can actually provide good mix or musical advice. To quote a shitty movie about Al Capone I saw part of a few months ago, I just tend to "run my mouth like a whorehouse terlet."

This reminds me of background music from a Rambo movie. Not really my thing (the music), but it sounds pretty good for what it is. I couldn't find anything I'd change in the mix. I was going to say the guitar should be louder once the cymbal kicks in around :41, but after listening the whole way through, I think you got the levels right. I am not listening on proper monitors, so take that for what it's worth.

If you play on the Music To Murder stuff on here, kudos... you guys play good rock and roll.

I still say 'thank you' NTB. In the 2 months or so I've been here, I've grown to like this place, but I was as good as gone. I know it's not the song quality, so I was left a bit confused. My mixes are decent, but far from "perfect" and I'd like to know what other ears and different monitoring systems hear when they listen just like everybody else. Or even ways to improve the songs themselves.

Like it or not, you're very cool in my book for what you did.

Last edited:
think you should write a song around this,female vocals could go great with it :)

very nice sounding bit of work :)

the only thing that stands out for me is the limiter,you hit that hard .. imo tracks like this need to breathe

anyhoo,i listened first then downloaded it .. will defo listen again but i would much rather listen to your next mix/write song around it should you do one :D

nice :)

btw i don't listen to all the tracks around here,but i try and get few in at the weekends ;)

Appreciate that CW, but I don't hit a limiter much at all if at all, so I'm not quite sure where the over-limited stigma comes from. But you heard something, so gonna take a look at the tracks themselves to see if it stems from there.

This was more of an experiment to try something different. Except for improving the mix, I'm pretty much done with it. Though I put it together, like NTB, it's also not really my thing either. Just something different for me to try to arrange and mix, plus I never "wrote" a song based around a flute before and I'm always looking for something different to try.

I totally understand how valuable folk's time can be; I throw in my 2 cents when I can, at least a few a week. This is my forth post and the first Raggae-ish song I posted did fairly well for a noob to the site. But then every song afterwards got a lot of listens, but fewer to no comments. So I think I'm fairly justified for how I was feeling.

Things sound a bit over compressed. Everything is squished and there isn't much breathing room. May be some pumping going on.

The finger cymbals or whatever they were sound like they're getting whacked by an MP3 compression or streaming issue.

The drone bass is really rumbly.

Some of the flute gets a little harsh sounding, but that may be because of all the compression.

First thing I'd do is back off of the compression/limiting/whatever. Second thing is fix the rumble in the bass. The rest might take care of itself.

Thanks TM. I don't overcompress, I barely compress, and same with limiting, so if people are hearing this, I GOT to find out what I'm doing to cause it. Appreciate that.

Yeah I read the comments after I posted mine. I'm definitely hearing a squashed mix, as did at least one other person.

every song afterwards got a lot of listens, but fewer to no comments. So I think I'm fairly justified for how I was feeling.

bots search this site n a lot of hits come from those ... i have read it can take a day or 2 for people to listen in,which i find to be true ...

anyhoo,if its not the limiter then you squashed it i suspect on your master channel.. don't get me wrong it sounds great,it just need to breath (in my opinion)

anyhoo,if your done with it im sure it will make great sampling for somebody else ;)

Yeah I read the comments after I posted mine. I'm definitely hearing a squashed mix, as did at least one other person.

Yes, I already acknowledged that, that's why I said I need to find out why since "people are hearing it."

bots search this site n a lot of hits come from those ... i have read it can take a day or 2 for people to listen in,which i find to be true ...

anyhoo,if its not the limiter then you squashed it i suspect on your master channel.. don't get me wrong it sounds great,it just need to breath (in my opinion)

anyhoo,if your done with it im sure it will make great sampling for somebody else ;)

I'm done with it as far as not doing anything else or different with it, but not as far as mixing it better.

Back