Synching Drum machine with Cubase

ax1lla

Hi all,

I have my equpiment posted in my bio but not sure if you can see it easily so I will post again:

Tascam US-1641
Cubase LE 5
DR-670

BTW - I'm basically a newb.

Goal:
I want to use a drum machine instead of the cubase metronome to record to. Which means I want to synch my drum machine with the metronome. End result is I would hear a 4 or 8 beat pre roll on the metronome and then BOOM my drum machine would start.

From the reading I've done so far, this would mean I need Cubase to be the master and my drum machine to be the slave? I've tried messing with every setting under the sun, but can't seem to get it to do anything.

btw - I assume that I just need to hook up a midi cable OUT of my interface and INTO my drum machine?

I have attached a screenshot of what my current settings are. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Corey

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 24
Ho Corey, You could spend a lot of time with this, but there's an easy work around: Set the tempo/click in Cubase to the same as the drum machine, record a few bars from the drum machine, slide the recorded beat until it syncs with the click, snap each end to the bar and paste away or repeat. If your drum machine is in song mode, just record the whole song in 1 pass and sync it to the click.
If you still want to sync it with timecode change Timecode Source to Internal Timecode so that Cubase generates the code for the drum machine, Check MIDI Timecode Dest's. : Corey's Drum Machine and check MIDI Timecode Follows Project Time.

That won't work

So I thought I would reply two years after my original post… LOL.

Anyway, I would like to do what you suggested above however, it won't work correctly. My drum machine internal clock and my click track in cubase are not perfectly in sync with each other. Meaning by the end of the song the click and the drum machine are slightly off. I've tried adjusting settings but I am afraid I just do not understand how to get it done. Frustrating.

Yup, a common problem, which is why you have to sync them with the synchronisation dialogue.

The settings look right to me. Have you set the drum machine to slave from the external MIDI clock?

Cheers :)

Back