Symptoms of a bad drum head?

dreib

So while recording this weekend I kept having troubles with 16 inch floor tom sounding like total fucking shit. When I seemed to get the drum close to sounding good the recording proved me wrong, I kept getting sympathetic ring (way too much) and that Boing! sound when I backed the head off. I freaking took both heads off , they appeared fine , and started all over, still the drum sounded like shit , I even walked around my room with it and it sounded like ass!!

Tape , moon gel , cymbal felts, mic placement , nothing worked, I could get it close but it didn't translate. So then I thought maybe the drum head is bad? It was a set of heads I used for one gig and then took off so yea technically they weren't brand new , but I know for sure the head wasn't bent or damaged since I took it off and checked it .

Maybe its bad from sitting for 6 months ? Its a remo clear pinstripe .

How are the lugs? Do the lug bolts stick and skip when you turn them? They should be smooth like butta.

Heads don't go bad from sitting. Heads sit on shelves for months and months in warehouses and at stores. Now it might have gone wongo from being used, stretched, beaten, and then relaxed and stored for a while. Does it ripple when it's not installed?

Im gonna remove it and check it again . Maybe after sitting on the drum for 24 hours it will cooperate , plus I was pretty frustrated yesterday and my ears were tired .

Back