Symetrix 528 vs Presonus Eureka?

Yes. Go with the 528. No contest.

Granted - Both units are kind of "iffy" for tracking (why you'd want compression, EQ, expansion, de-essing (etc.) while tracking is beyond me). You could get a really decent preamp in the same price range that would blow either preamp section away. RNP, m101, P-Solo and what not. Even the DMP3 is going to hold up against the 528 (and it's quite a bit better than the Eureka, IMO/E), it's a dual-channel unit and it's ridiculously inexpensive.

Unless, of course, if you're looking for a broadcast/podcast/live use strip... Then just go with the 528.

I agree with John on this one. The 528 Symetrix as well as all the 500 series Symetrix devices are superior in sound to many units priced well above them. They were never really built for a fancy display, but the 'innards' make em work quite well. I have owned almost all of them...(2) 528, (2) 525, (5) 501, and have never regretted having them. I still have the 525 comps. They get used as much as anything else in the rack.

As for something in the price range, the Symetrix stuff sells for almost nothing these days.

Thanks for the replies guys! I would have to totally disagree with the DMP3 vs Eureka comment. I personally love the Eureka and find mine quieter than the DMP3 I owned! The DMP3 always had a certain brittleness to it aswell.
Apparently swapping the socketed opamps in the Eureka also improves it even more.

The P-Solo cost's around £500 over here and I would want two for stereo micing acoustic instruments aswell as some vocals. I the possibility to buy two 528's for more than less half the price of one P-Solo so they are far from being in the same price range - £200 for 2x 528's or £1000 for 2x P-Solo. I could also consider sending them off to be modded by Jim Williams at a later date which would include replacing the preamp section with his high speed preamp card!?

Have you guys used both the 528 and Eureka?

Both. Returned the first two Eurekas before I found out that they "actually sounded like that." But I digress...

If you're looking for two channels of really-nice preamp, try FMR's Really Nice Preamp (RNP). Around $500 (USD) and freakishly decent (and without all the goofiness).

Back