Suprise for Big Kahuna, with help from Emeric

GT

Okay Idrive has gone to hell in handbasket.

So thanks to Emeric, lets try lycos.

http://listeningroom.lycos.com/

search for band type: gtmuse

Song: Big K GT.

Thanks to Big Kahuna for the inspiration!!

Thanks to Emeric for getting me the hell away from Idrive!!

Sweet sound....sweet playing on all Big K's drums and your guitar/bass...there's a slight bump/pop/click/metronomone type thing on the left channel that I heard....I guess if it's meant to be there, it should come up or something....maybe it's the fault of mp3 encoding, though....gibs

Hey Gibs,

Thanks for listening!!

I don't hear the click on the mp3 I made, I wonder if it happened during transition from lycos, oh well.

I'm just so happy to be away from Idrive, man was that frustrating. Thanks again Emeric!!

This was my first colaboration, man is this fun, got me away from the drum machine. Would like to do this again.

I would love to hear from Big Kahuna, I hope I didn't tread on your toes, by using your drum part, Big K if your out there, drop a line, yea or nay, let me know.

GT

Are you kidding? I LOVE it!

Awesome man!! I dig it ...
It's too short though ... should maybe loop it or something.
It's really cool to come back to this after going through homewrecker withdrawls for the last couple days. I still don't consider myself a drummer, but if I ever have another decent drum groove or loop or anything, I'll post it. If you (or anyone else, for that matter) like it feel free to use it.
Seriously man ... this made my day!! :D
Thanks!
:)
BK

PS Glad to hear you got away from idrive ... it really sucks big time!

Hey Big K,

Great to hear from you!! This was too cool!! I hope you liked the mix. Too late now but is there anything you would have done different?

Iv'e got el cheapo recording gear. The small amount of hum you might hear, was my bass to close to a TV, with the sound off, used for diversion, so I don't have to think about my playing too much. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I used some EQ, as finalization, hope you don't mind, I hope it sounds right over your speakers.

Try it through phones, if you can.

Sorry to hear about the homewreck, glad this helped.

Sincerelly

GT

Hey that's pretty cool, too short though. Funky. My only critism, aside from the length is the humming/noise at the start. Is it a guitar generating that or something else? - easy to edit out at the start anyway. Nice guitar BTW, very clean.

Good stuff!

Emeric

Yeah, GT there's a little hum in there. But, it's not too overwhelming. It doesn't sound like it's interference from a TV or computer monitor. This sounds more like just 60 cycle hum - ground loop.
One way to try and avoid it is by keeping audio cables completely separate from power cables ... if you can't do that, try to at least make them cross at a 90º angle. Another way is ... some amps have a switch to lift the ground to avoid a loop, maybe your gear has this.
Yet another way is to get an adapter that will accept a grounded plug, but will plug into the wall without the ground. Not the safest thing and definitely do NOT do this during a storm .. but it could help avoid any loops.

I like the sound you got, anyway .. what kind of recorder/mixer are you using? Everything sounds good to me both through the monitors and in headphones. I like the mix, I wouldn't really change a thing ... good job! :)
Heheh ... I caught myself singing this tune several times at work today! :)

Thanks Emeric,

Yeah the hum is guitar generated. I was sitting right in front of a thirteen inch tv while trying to come up with the bass line.

I got a good take, and didn't want to let it go, so I kept it, hum and all. Damn you guys have good ears!! That's why this place is so important. From now on, no tv while recording. It's weird, you can use humbuckers next to a tv and have little or no hum, hence the name. Thanks I learned my lesson.

Big K,

I allmost don't want to tell you about my recording gear, but hear goes;

I recorded your drum part straight from the computer to a HiFi stereo vcr, in the living room.

Then took the tape into my studio and bounced from vcr to dcc (digital compact cassete), yes I still have one, and added the bass line. Then bounced back to vcr and added one guitar part. Then bounced back to dcc and added the second guitar part. I am very carefull about keeping out of the red, very important if you have to bounce tracks. I didn't use any processing, except on the guitar.

Some day I would love to have an eight track, but till then, I use what I've got. I think that's another thread.

This is a mix as you go thing, so when you are done it has to be right, because you can't change any levels. On the plus side, you're done!!

Then, I ran this mix throught a ten band EQ, hooked to my computer, and made a mp3.

"The small amount of hum you might hear, was my
bass to close to a TV, with the sound off, used for diversion, so I don't have to
think about my playing too much. I'm sure you know what I mean."

Well, yeah, exactly - that's why God gave us whiskey. You won't hear TV on anything I might get around to posting here - the crickets drown that sort of thing out.

Back