Super fast fibre - not really great for downloading.

rob aylestone

My fibre connection here is pretty good. Speedtest says 780 download and 910 upload - so that's not bad. I just bought a Native Instrument UVI package and am watching it trickle in. Now I appreciate I'm in the UK and the server is probably the US, but file downloads are not remotely speedy. Why is this?

It's all about the whole pathway and capabilities therein. NI is a popular website and 10's of thousands of users trying to get their "stuff". Therein lies the bottleneck of your slow downloads. Awesome to have fiber ( I have 500 mbs) but the reality is you are reliant upon the server you are trying upload to or download from. I did a google on NI slow downloads and trust me you are not the only one experiencing incredibly slow downloads from NI

My fibre connection here is pretty good. Speedtest says 780 download and 910 upload - so that's not bad. I just bought a Native Instrument UVI package and am watching it trickle in. Now I appreciate I'm in the UK and the server is probably the US, but file downloads are not remotely speedy. Why is this?
Its the server you are connecting to and its probably because a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Hey Rob, I've got an old Hayes 1200 baud modem that I'll send you... Then you'll appreciate your fibre a bit more. :giggle:

I started with a 110 baud acoustic coupler with my TI 99/4a. I remember downloading 4 and 5 kilobyte basic programs, and it would only take 10 minutes or so.
We've come a LOOOOOOOONG way!

I have Ting Fiber - I average 980 Mbps up and down - when I hit a site like NI I still get 980 Mbps - but they only have about 10 Mbps available so my fiber speed doesn't matter.

The NI servers IIRC are in Europe but ever since the merging of Plugin Alliance, Izotope and NI the pricing and sales/freebee deals have created something akin to a near constant load on there servers. Best option IME is to download a day or two after a sale when server traffic is reduced.

Their servers have never been really fast IME though.

NI was indeed the download that started me thinking about what was happening. If their servers are that stressed, then that is a lot of money they're generating isn't it?

Reactions: TAE
It depends I suppose. Either they're generating so many sales and have so many updating customers that they're overloading their top-class servers,
or they skimped on servers to save money.

It's amazing how many providers and sites seem to base their hosting on average throughput rather than peak.
Remember when all the grocery store delivery booking pages wouldn't even load on Sunday nights a few years ago? :ROFLMAO:

NI was indeed the download that started me thinking about what was happening. If their servers are that stressed, then that is a lot of money they're generating isn't it?
Yep I think it is pretty irresponsible of them to not be able to provide their customers with a decent amount of bandwidth. Google servers are the best though I suppose the Amazon one are damn close to equal.

There is a short comment in the current New Scientists about the rapid expansion of data handling centres. I think it is irresponsible for Internet providers to keep up this race for ever faster speeds as it all adds to the energy (CO2) load and the vast majority of people don't need better than say 100m download and as we have seen, those with nearly ten times faster can rarely make use of it.

Dave.

My decision for fibre was really to get uploads to vimeo for clients, and I foolishly didn't realise that while my theoretical (and speedtest) results are great, getting video to vimeo (and youtube) is so much slower. The sales aid of shouting speed speed speed should carry a warning - I fell for it, assuming the slowest part of the system was my end!

My decision for fibre was really to get uploads to vimeo for clients, and I foolishly didn't realise that while my theoretical (and speedtest) results are great, getting video to vimeo (and youtube) is so much slower. The sales aid of shouting speed speed speed should carry a warning - I fell for it, assuming the slowest part of the system was my end!
To me, this is akin to selling people a 3 phase supply instead of the 100A 1ph most of us have. Three times the copper and more complex switch gear and metering that few people can make use of.

Just to add injury! My internet keeps disconnecting. Going to give BT a bllking Monday morning!
Dave.

Back