Suddenly

dobro

One more before the year ends.

Number three from Upstream Sing No Blues - 'Suddenly'

I wrote it, played guitar, sang. Tjarko Busink sang, played two guitars and a bass.

I really like how strong you guys hold the groove without percussion/ drums. No nits at all just enjoyed ...what was that guitar being played at the end of the song? Looked like a Fender strat neck ? Great job!

Thanks!

Maybe it's time to share some of my setup: in this song the bass is a '85 Fender Precision (MIJ), my first bass. It's a bit modified but not much: new pickups (handwired by Paul HendriX in the Netherlands), an added jazz pickup, new frets (they were all worn out after many years of playing) and a different pickguard. Bass is always straight into the Avalon U5. The red guitar appearing in many of the videos is a K-Line San Bernandino, my all time fave. I fell in love with it when I played it at a friend's house, and when he called me he was going to sell it I immediately picked it up. Took no more than 15 minutes. I play through a H&K Tubemeister Deluxe 20 & cabinet and a few mics that keep changing because I've only experimenting with it recently. For many years I didn't even have an amp. :oops: I've made a few mistakes during the recording of this one, but the next one will be better. Or maybe the one after the next one (you'll understand when it's released).

The green guitar is a Burns Hank Marvin tribute. Hank played in The Shadows and needed a British version of a strat. It has a peculiar sound, and sounds amazing drenched in reverb using a lot of vibrato.

Scat lead work! :D

Good groove - cleanly constructed. Nice work, gentlemen!

Paul - I'd watch a hint of mud/blur in your lead vocal. It's probably proximity effect.

One more before the year ends.

Number three from Upstream Sing No Blues - 'Suddenly'

I wrote it, played guitar, sang. Tjarko Busink sang, played two guitars and a bass.

Nice laid back song. Well done.

How are you recording the acoustic guitar? Is it plugged in, mic'd separately or through the vocal mic?

On headphones the only nit I've got is there's an occasional distorted percussive click like at 1.20 that could be notched out. Otherwise sounds very smooth. The bass is really locking the whole thing down and sounds great against the guitars

Back