Studio isolation headphones for recording

YunG Clyde

I want to buy a pair of isolation headphones for studio use. Now the kind of isolation I want is not which will cut off the worlds sounds from getting inside the headphones but it should cut off the music from inside the headphones from going out. I currently use a pair of Sennheiser HD 180's which I had purchased more than a year ago (when I had no knowledge on studio headphones at all) but now those have started leaking too much sound to my Rode NT1a. Unfortunately headphones are the only sound instruments you have to take inside the booth with you for reference but at the same time make sure their sound doesn't reach the mic (this is a problem mostly for solo recording artists). Now I won't ask ya'll which are the best headphones for recording cause thanx to ya'll I already know there's no such thing as "best" when it comes to studio equipment. So I only wan't your opinion as to which one of these will "serve my purpose best" while recording.

PS: The headphones don't need to sound of high quality i.e., i don't need them to mix and master, I got my monitors for that. All I need them for is to listen to the beat while recording but without them emitting any sound to the mic at all. I usually do Hip Hop and R&B. Sometimes soul and also a little country (whenever I feel like singing or if my client requests).

Here are the options currently in my mind:
1. Sennheiser HD280 pro
2. Extreme EX-29 headphones
3. Beyerdynamic DT 770 M
4. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

If anyone has other headphones in mind which will serve my purpose better than these then please mention the brand and model no. Money is not the issue here but I just don't wanna buy anything and regret it later.

Regards,
Clyde Yung D'souza.

Check these out

Sony Pro Headphones | Professional Studio Headphones | MDR-7506 | Sony USA

I have used these headphones (actually the previous model) for years. Not only do they "not bleed" into the mic, they sound really, really good. Plus they aren't too expensive for studio monitor headphones. I highly recommend them. I also own a pair of Sennheiser phones, and there is no comparison. The Sony's are more comfortable, sound better, and fit more flush to your head (so the sound doesn't leak out). Check them out - you won't be sorry.

Back