Struggling...

The song is Turn Your Key, the file is called mix 1 but's actually mix 5 or 6 - I've lost count.
It's flat, harsh and muddy but beside that it's great :)
Any words of wisdom to improve it?
Thanks

Attachments

• Mix1.mp3
    7.6 MB
bright and happy with bounce
sounds like disney.
and the BGs
the sonics are dialed in, so at this point it is production decisions/

Well to the OP, I don't hear any mud or harshness.
Maybe the piano compression could be dialed back a few points.
Extend the endo solo.
Maybe. IDK.

I don't get the muddy comment. If anything, it's a bit bright and harsh for my taste. As for being flat, everything seems compressed to me. There's little variation in the dynamics of any of the instruments. It also sounds a bit peaky in the 1500Hz range. It might help backing that down a couple dB and see if it less harsh.

I really don't like the exposed piano at the start. No pedal at first - and maybe a little dry, but then the sustain pedal goes down and stays down through the chord changes - this sounds like a mistake. The BVs blend nicely but the main vocal is lost - maybe it's because it's pitch 'space' is in use by instruments, so maybe you could adjust levels or EQ in the backing to give the vocal a bit of it's own space and get it up front - the BVs are more up front than the main Vox which is a little odd, and the guitar seems a bit loud.

It's not bad at all - but if you looking for opinions, that's what popped into my head.

Hi Rob, the piano was intentional to be a bit wacky, but I don't like it either, the sustain gets in the way of other things but if I take it out the track appears empty.
I've tried different keyboards, Rhodes, Wurlitzers, but I cant seem to find the right sound texture, any ideas?
I'll have a look at the vocal areas you suggested, thanks.

No mastering on it Mark, a very light 1db compression on the master bus is all.
I can't hear a vocal at 1.06, there is a guitar line just before 1.06? Thanks
ok cos it sounds toppy , lacking some body for my ears and on these cans. Im confused about the vocal tho .. im listening to the file and at approx 1:06 a vocal comes back in ...

Back