Strange old Rode NT1 Model (1990?) I just got. Any information??

LeifStrikesBack

Hey everyone, I just got this microphone and I find it fascinating. This is a Rode Nt1, but its the model before the Jim Edwards design. There not much to find of it on the internet,

It appears in this video by rode (As the earliest mic) (1990)

and a few other forums around the place, I was wondering if anyone knows more information on it!

As far as im aware there is no serial number.

I've attached some photo's and
here's a quick audio test.

Attachments

• PXL_20210312_012202605.jpg
    PXL_20210312_012202605.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210312_012222298.jpg
    PXL_20210312_012222298.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Inside1990RodeNT1.jpg
    Inside1990RodeNT1.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I own 2 nt1’s and a similar design nt2, they are so early that even rode hardly remember them. I had one fixed a few years ago and they found the required transformer in someone’s desk draw 😂

The 2 nt1’s are slightly different but are similar age. They sound very good, similar to a Neumann. I have some detailed photos somewhere, I think my old laptop, if I find them I’ll post them. There were posted on this site ages ago so you could do a search

The very early ones like we are talking about either did not have serial number or it was inside, like the photos in the other thread

The U87 styled RODE mic is the NT2 which was the very first condensor mic I purchased/owned. It had a different character than the NT-1 ie not as much high end emphasis.
FWIW, I've never been a fan of any version of the NT-1 although RODE sells a ton of them.

When I got the old version of NT1, it was my best mic, we are talking early 90's ? A guy can into the studio to track a female vocal, he brought his Neumann U87, halfway through the session the U87 stopped working, we switched to the NT1, later he could not work out which vocal tracks were recorded with which mic. Its amazing how the name plate on the mic changes the sound. :rolleyes:

Back