Strange behavior?

mjbphotos

Or not?
Usually when I start a new project, I call up a template that has EZDrummer in it, then I find a tempo with a simple drum pattern to use as a click track.
Yesterday, instead I started a blank new project and recorded an audio rhythm track from my Casio keyboard set at 104 bpm. The grid lines in Reaper didn't match up, and I saw that the default bpm is 120bpm. So I inserted a new tempo at the start at 104bpm and it slowed down the recorded track (physically and lowered and the pitch)! What? I did not change the 'rate' (playback speed).

Now I'm working on a mix for some friends, and want to be able to get the grid lined up for it - without knowing the exact tempo they used (and it may vary, not sure they used a click).

Kenny has a good video on finding tempos and matching things up when importing, even when it varies throughout the song. I can't recall the details, but it does involve short time selections.

I've been bitten by this before too.

I think the setting you want is in the preferences menu as "Playback position follows project timebase (time or beats) when changing tempo". If it's toggled on, adjusting the tempo will change the position and playback rates of existing media.
I think there's an additional setting for whether adjusting playback rate only changes tempo or if it changes pitch too, but that is irrelevant if you get the first one right.
(And I think there's an additional setting for the same thing but on midi items since more often you do want those to match your grid regardless)

Back