Stoners are gonna love this...

the_philth

Okay guys... here's "It's Never Over", the second track from my band's demo (you've heard track 1 "Welcome Back" which both Greg (keys) and I have been sweating over trying to mix with a *listeners* point of view and I'd like your assistance as being the listening audience and point us in the right mixing direction so we can hurry up and get this damn demo out!

Be sure to listen through some headphones! We've got some studio trickery going on with vocals and keys!

You guys are awesome with your opinions and constructive criticisms and have made our mixing process very productive. Thanks for supporting this awesome bulletin board!

Please.... be super honest with me!
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
This is some really heavy stuff man, I love it.
the synthpalying kicks ass big time, very cool.
again very talented palying, very fancy drumming.
good vox, very good balance in my opinion.
I cant come up with any thing wrong on this track, man you rock.
only that I heard some screamo vox in the back a few times, that could come up a notch, to make it more agressive.

heavy tune man :)

Thanks Nakatira for the very cool words! I guess we did a pretty good job at mixing these tracks huh? We recorded a total of 5 songs and this is the second song we've mixed so far! I'm trying to mix our babies as an engineer as opposed to being a musician. Kinda like a surgeon wouldn’t want to be performing surgery on him/herself; we (Greg and I) have to remove our musician hats and put on our engineer hats to try and produce a quality demo considering we DO have our own facility to do so!

I really appreciate your comments regarding the mix, but I get pretty giddy when I hear things like: “very talented playing” and “man you rock”! I love that! Feeds the ego and reassures me that we may be on to something with our writing as well as on the right track and frame-of-mind when recording/mixing!

Thanks a lot brother! Even though this post has been viewed like *38* times so far and only ONE comment seemed to have made it through, I’m gonna give it some time for others to post their critiques and comment on how they feel they would have mixed it before I delete it!

Thanks again for the cool comments Nakatira and no brother...

... YOU rock!

Man listenig to your`re stuff, I think you show a real proffesional mix\and preformance, I only wish I could come close to it, and I mean that.

I`m very impressed with both mix\and sound its just proffessional in my opinion.

Hopefully you will get many reviewers here, because you and the band deserves it.

I`m very happy to make you`re accaintence, and I hope we can "maybe" do some work together.

you one cool guy :cool: :)

the_philth said:
Even though this post has been viewed like *38* times so far and only ONE comment seemed to have made it through, I’m gonna give it some time for others to post their critiques and comment on how they feel they would have mixed it before I delete it!
... YOU rock!

I wouldn't worry about the number of views too much. You got people like me here during the day who are reading on the board, but can't listen yet. You'll get my review later :p :p I can't guarantee it'll be helpful, but you'll get it ;)

Wow!This rocks...love the intro and panning....drum roll/fill sounds awesome while vocals start.Really like the production on this...would love to hear what it would sound like with some real heavy bass pedal type bottom end under the synth parts ...kinda like vintage Rush or Genesis type thing.
I think you guys nailed it with this one...but one question?Where is the super shred guitar solo? ;) !
Great job...congrats!

variaxman said:
Where is the super shred guitar solo? ;) !
LOL!

That's what Greg (keys) keeps bitching at me about...
"Man, Phil... you've gotta start shredding again!"
(back in '95 I played in a major shred/prog-metal band with Greg where we both traded solo's that sounded killer!)

Man... I stopped shredding YEARS ago when I focused most of my attention to bass guitar; nowadays, any of my solos at any given time would sound like a frikkin Geddy Lee bass lick or something!

I don't know... I may get a little *Gilmour/Petrucci-ish* in the future just to satisfy my band mates' requests!

But anyway... not exactly the response(s) I expected but nonetheless... Fucking A! I'll take a compliment any ol' day!

Thanks guys... you guys are effin cool man! I love that!

Nice sounds. I really like the voice. Very good. The panning is very interesting. I have a 5.1 system to listen on, and this is a wide mix. Sounds very good. Lots of space. Can't really say much about it....I really enjoyed the listen. Drums sounds really full. Good guitar tone, and I can feel the bass. Cool song.
Ed

Man this is great stuff! The song sounds awesome loud on my system :D
I love that piano/synth thing in the back too, really cool atmospheric effects with that.
That singer has it going on too, very cool. She gets pretty intense at some points, sounds cool.

Yeah I have nothing to complain about, it seriously feels like I just popped some kickass professional CD in my system :D Very nice work. Stop being so good if you want complants, at least mess something up to give us something to work with :p Just kidding... Great work man!

Great song, great composition, great arrangement.......all very talanted people!
Only one critique.......the vocals could stand to be a bit louder or that may just be the mp3 quality I am hearing.....anyway.......Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply put, I think you got a keeper! The intro builds up tension and expectation then...bang! It's Rock n Roll!!! Keep wearing multiple hats, sounds like you are doing a pretty good job on both sides of the mic.

Wow... that's killer...

The kick was a bit distracting for me... I love that type of kick, but it seemed to distant and to round... I think I wanted to hear a flatter thuddier kick

great mix

Wow, this is awesome!
I guess I'm too damn critical on myself considering this is my first recording gig and my first real original band (other than Butcher) and I just want things to be nice and powerful!

I really appreciate you guys giving me the vote of confidence I need behind the desk as well as on the geetar!

There are a few little things that I notice when listening to these tracks while driving like, the kick or the vocals not being pushed at some sections; and like Dani said as far as writing goes, we totally write with that formula in mind eg. 'build up tension and expectation then...bang!'

We're very visual writers and this is only the beginning for our writing process. Shit, we're so wet behind the ears you guys have no idea! Tamber's (vox) only been with us for 4 months!!!

We'll get on the other tracks so you guys can help with the Quality Control!

Man, like I said: I really appreciate your input! It's very important to us to have an *outside* opinion as opposed to keeping it within the band, and what better way to get that opinion than by presenting it to a bunch of pot-spinning, button-pushing peers such as yourselves!?

Excellentay!

Once again... you guys rock!

Last edited:
Back