Still using CDs ?

I buy used CDs if it's something I want and it's not in current production. Then I rip it to my music collection (320kbps AAC) and trash it. I don't buy new CDs unless it's to support some live performer I've just seen, or there's no buyable digital download. Then I rip and toss. I have a USB reader/writer I can plug in when I need it, but, otherwise, there are no CD players in use in the house or cars.

I do miss the big LP albums with inserts, and even the info that came with CDs, though those fonts were impossibly small sometimes. I wish the download sites would include the booklet info in PDF form - I'd keep those...

Oh man don't do it! Vinyl is still the best. A decent cleaning brings old albums back to life and the older gear is available cheap. You don't need audiophile bullshit. Best "warmest" tone to be had.
I’ve got a nice turn table and a McIntosh amp etc. I’ve got the audiophile thing. I appreciate vinyl, and all things analog. Just prepping for the inevitable downsizing as I get older. Digital is getting better and analog is less of an advantage now imho.

I’ve got a nice turn table and a McIntosh amp etc. I’ve got the audiophile thing. I appreciate vinyl, and all things analog. Just prepping for the inevitable downsizing as I get older. Digital is getting better and analog is less of an advantage now imho.
Oh! Well then send all the old useless shit to me. I'll dispose of it properly. 😉

I like the CD format better than anything that came before it but that said I have not used a CD for listening purposes in quite a few years. The reason is that I have amassed a huge collection of music that resides on my phone that I can play through any number of playback devices which I find really convenient, especially in my car.

Back