Stereo Shotgun Microphones

Orson

I was talking with someone regards recording outdoors. They said my Rode Ngt2 would be better replaced with a stereo shotgun mic for recording things like cars to give the stereo speaker effect.

I had never thought anything about this before or even knew that there were stereo shotgun mics. No doubt this could be expensive.

So anybody got any recommendations or ideas?

He's talking bollocks! Have you ever found stereo shotguns? What look like them are usually M/S mics. If you need to record ambience and wild tracks in stereo, then often a hyper/supercardioid and figure 8 combo is king - inside a very expensive and protected housing. Or, just a Zoom and a bit of foam to try out at much lower cost. Think about the notion of a stereo shotgun - it's an oxymoron. It's a narrow, beam type tone microphone. If you tried to use two, your car would pop into one, vanish then pop into the other and vanish - not remotely what you want.

Cheers Rob. I just couldnt figure it out. If anyone knows then you will.

EDIT: Rob I went and looked on Thomann at what you said and I think his description is what you refer to. There are some A-T's there from 550 to 1000 which are long and thin like a shotgun mic, but are of course as you describe and x/y. I think these could also fit in my Rode blimp for wind protection.

Last edited:
Back