Steakfry-painnbliss

I enjoyed the piece more as it progressed. Just two things bothered me. One is that there was something about the doubled hard panned guitars that didn't sound together. May just be me though. The second is the music ducking whenever the kick hit. It seemed a little much and a bit distracting.

I wouldn't have minded those guitars at the beginning panned a little closer together.

When that lead guitar (mandolin?) comes in, it's noise floor is suuuuper high!

Oh yeah, when the beat kicks in, musicgeek is right about the kick ducking. Your compression is pretty out-of-control.

I really liked how it started, but when it got going, it fell apart pretty badly.

+1 on the compression/ducking making it hard to listen to.
Compression is a seductive mistress...but too much will ruin everything.

Hearing a lot of harshness. It sounds to me like what happens when you limit and boost the bejeezus out of a mix. Assuming the raw tracks aren't so harsh, I'd roll it back to square one and start the mix over.

Holy compression Batman! Agree with everything above. Song itself is not bad but gotta take care of that compression and the noise coming from the mandolin recording(my guess you over compressed that track too)

I think you got some good advice from the others.

Some things I heard. The kick sample is kind of boingy. It doesn't really fit the rest of the tracks. Snare is kind of techo too.

Bass is pretty out of control. Notes here and there are boomy.

There is a lot of hiss in the intro.

Edit... I like the vocal melody. It was cool.

fell apart musically too? i'll def rerecord it lol cause ya'll are right with the compression, but i think thats the only problem, i'd like to hear to what you think sucked about it lol, im tryin to improve my song strucuring skillz as well

---------- Update ----------

should the kick be deeper? or am i chasing my tail using electro drums?

Depends on what your raw tracks sound like. If that harshness and hyper compression is baked in, then retrack. If not, just do another mix first so we can hear what you've got. The current mix is hard to listen to.

Lots of people here use sampled drums. How good it sounds just depends on your programming skills.

The ducking is out of control. Did you not notice that?

Song structuring isn't really a skill, in my mind. It's not something you get better and better at, like shooting a basketball. It's just a preference. You prefer to structure something one way or another. It just is. If it were a skill, then everyone would be trying to structure something the same as X artist, who is the master song-structurer. But that doesn't exist. That's something great about music. What you do is a snapshot of that timeframe with the ideas in your mind right then and there. It might evolve, but it's hard to say it improves. Unless, of course, your goal is top 40. Then, I suppose, you could say you want it to be more familiar with listeners and you're wondering how to do that. But I could still point out several top selling tunes with varying structuring.

Anyways, the compression is ruining everything. I wasn't convinced on the indie/techno mix either. It could just be the mix, but as it progressed more and more into EDM, I lost interest. Vocal performance and instruments were nice, just some mix and arrangement stuff could use tweaking, to my ears.

Again, that ducking is out of control.

Well yeah I can gear the ducking lol, it was partly on purpose. Helpful to know it makes it hard to listen to, thanks man very helpful, I'll remix and probably rerecord some tracks, it may be the mic as well, but I did compress the crap out of everything, and yeah too much limiting as well.

Back