SSL 12 vs Volt 476P vs Audiofuse Studio vs Apogee Symphony

Lemec

Time for me to move forward and change my áudio interface in my home studio .

I mainly do VO jobs and music composing so the need for recording big bands is not required.

Using a Neumann TLM-103 for my VO jobs and i also have a Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 Mic Preamp (Neve 1073 clone).

I know that both the SSl 12 and the Volt 476P are in a diferente budget stage than the Audiofuse Studio and the Apogee Symphony but i would like to have your opinion when it comes to Mic Pres…Converters….Input Gain range…..EIN Noise..etc…

The goal is to get the best audio quality possible with at least 4 ins, 2 phones out, midi and USB connection since i'm on PC.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions

Any of these will be fine. You already have a great mic and preamp. Conversion doesn’t really matter now in 2023.

I cannot tell ANY difference between my Apogee Ensemble and my Komplete Audio 6.

Want to guess how much the converter chip in the Apogee costs? $6.

I would have strongly suggested the MOTU M4 but now they have the M6 and that gives you your two headphone outs.

I agree with CrowsoFritz, 'modern' converters are virtually transparent. I have had M-A 2496 PCI, Behringer BCA2000, NI KA 6, UMC204HD and others. Now an M4 and I really cannot recall any difference in their sound.

MOTU are also great guys to speak to. NI not so much.

Dave.

I would have strongly suggested the MOTU M4 but now they have the M6 and that gives you your two headphone outs.

I agree with CrowsoFritz, 'modern' converters are virtually transparent. I have had M-A 2496 PCI, Behringer BCA2000, NI KA 6, UMC204HD and others. Now an M4 and I really cannot recall any difference in their sound.

MOTU are also great guys to speak to. NI not so much.

Dave.
Which is funny, because when I first started in audio, I had read so much that MOTU’s customer service was bad—almost nonexistent. That idea went out my window when I bought a used 896, wasn’t working, and they replaced it at no charge.

Which is funny, because when I first started in audio, I had read so much that MOTU’s customer service was bad—almost nonexistent. That idea went out my window when I bought a used 896, wasn’t working, and they replaced it at no charge.
Well Mr C, years ago when I was first into home recording MOTU were very difficult to get info out of. You either have to sign up on a very intrusive form or get Jack s! I had forgotten all that when I bought my M4 and I had a minor glitch with Win 7 which they sorted for me easily and quickly. I then bought an M4 for my son in France an they were MOST helpful with downloads and permissions in this post Brexit FU!

Dave.

Back