Splitting a Bass signal

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I guess I'll try a Y-cable to do this, but I'm sure there is a better way...

My bass players GK head sounds good, but it's has this annoying habit of crackling and sputtering every once in a while. He's had it "fixed" twice but to no avail. It' still does it after everything being resoldered. So far the best solution is to turn the head on it's end! go figure....

But anyway, It still does it every once in a while so recording direct from the head is pretty much out of the question. Micing it is often not an option cause the drum kit swallows up all my mics- and I usually like to record both at the same time to get a good feel.

HE has a Fishman preamp for his upright and sometimes uses it for the electric... hmmmm... so I want to split the signal to go into the head and also thru the fishman to the recorder.

Am I going to lose any of the signal if I just use a Y cable?

What kind/brands of Direct boxes would be good for this application??

hmmm...offer to buy him a new jack and then convince your roommate to replace it either for free or for a bass lesson...if the problem persists, get the drummer to do it. because, even if it still doesn't work, you can at least blame the drummer....

SansAmp makes a DI bass driver. This thing is awesome for recording bass. You can run your bass through this to the board and get great tone due to its built-in tube circuitry. You can also run a dry signal out of it to an amp for miking. It's one of the best investments I've ever made.

Col_Forskin- you know James dosen't like it when you talk about yourself in third person.

[This message has been edited by James HE (edited 02-17-2000).]

Back