Spike when recording guitar

Mr Kite

HI all - wondered if u can help me - I'm getting frustrated when I record my guitar through my pod into cubase via maudio fast track and every so often it will glitch or spike so I need to rerecord - glad 4 any help from u lovely people - cheers steve

Glitch or spike in what sense? A recording would help. Troubleshoot. Is the problem with: Your playing? Your guitar? The Pod? Your interface? Your DAW?

Do you actually hear the "spike" as you're recording.........or only on playback..........or both? When you hear the spike on your recording........does it occur in the same spot every time? The cause can be a lot of things and answering these questions is only a start.

Thanx 4 replying - I hear the glitch thing when I'm recording & on playback - guitars fine & pods ok live but wondered whether fast track maybe going down - don't know ??? Thanx

You'll need to do a classic troubleshoot on this. If you think you may have isolated the issue as likely involving the fast track, then start again with that unit. First - cables. I would change out the patch cord from the pod to the fast track. Clean the input jack on the fast track. Clean the USB output jack on the fast track. Swap out the USB cable. Clean the computer's USB input connections. Clean the power source connections on the fast track and on your computer. If you're using a laptop, try recording without plugging in the computer - just from the batteries. See if you can replicate the fault. If you still have a problem, then its time to look at the switches, first on the fast track and then the computer. Maybe try swapping out the computer if you have access to one. If all seems well, then you could recheck the software settings to see if anything is amiss, or reset them to default and start over. Stuff like that.

bash up the performance monitor and watch it carefully when you record - if the red light comes on, then you have problems. You could be taxing the processor, or taxing the drive's in/out performance. I get this from time to time, when I have busy tracks and processing power runs out, the buffers empty and you get a nasty glitch. If it has always been good and suddenly is playing up, then it's likely there is another programme running that is making demands on the processor and/or drives. I'd left windows update on, and it suddenly burst into life halfway through a recording and wrecked it. AVG that I use often seems to suddenly grab the internet and update stuff - essential thing, I guess, but annoying. If you have software synths or samplers and run multiple instances these can suddenly all grab their files from the drive at the same time and max out the system.

If your computer is playing one track and recording another, and makes the nasty spike - then something else is causing it - external to Cubase.ctrl-alt-del and look at task manager to see what is running may point you in the right direction?

Back